Collaborative governance of public health in low- and middle-income countries: lessons from research in public administration
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Sch Govt & Publ Policy
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherBMJ PUBLISHING GROUP
CitationEmerson K Collaborative governance of public health in low- and middle-income countries: lessons from research in public administration BMJ Global Health 2018;3:e000381.
JournalBMJ GLOBAL HEALTH
Rights© Article author(s) (or their employer(s) unless otherwise stated in the text of the article) 2018. All rights reserved. No commercial use is permitted unless otherwise expressly granted.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractMultisectoral governance, one of many terms used to describe collaborative, cross-boundary approaches to solving complex public problems, is being applied broadly in several policy arenas, most notably in environmental and natural resource management, but increasingly in public health in multiple settings and scales around the globe. This paper explores how to transfer knowledge about collaborative governance to challenging public health settings found in low-income and moderate-income countries (LMICs). This paper presents a general background on collaborative governance, summarises some relevant empirical findings on the performance of collaborative governance and lays out some of the challenges and considerations for thinking about improving collaborative public health governance in LMICs.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
- Governing multisectoral action for health in low-income and middle-income countries: unpacking the problem and rising to the challenge.
- Authors: Bennett S, Glandon D, Rasanathan K
- Issue date: 2018
- Digital technology for health sector governance in low and middle income countries: a scoping review.
- Authors: Holeman I, Cookson TP, Pagliari C
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Adaptation in collaborative governance regimes.
- Authors: Emerson K, Gerlak AK
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Strengthening mental health system governance in six low- and middle-income countries in Africa and South Asia: challenges, needs and potential strategies.
- Authors: Petersen I, Marais D, Abdulmalik J, Ahuja S, Alem A, Chisholm D, Egbe C, Gureje O, Hanlon C, Lund C, Shidhaye R, Jordans M, Kigozi F, Mugisha J, Upadhaya N, Thornicroft G
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 1
- Towards people-centred health systems: a multi-level framework for analysing primary health care governance in low- and middle-income countries.
- Authors: Abimbola S, Negin J, Jan S, Martiniuk A
- Issue date: 2014 Sep