Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Elective Spine Surgery: National Prevalence and Inpatient Outcomes
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Med
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherGEORG THIEME VERLAG KG
CitationChung, A. S., DiGiovanni, R., Tseng, S., Hustedt, J. W., & Chutkan, N. (2018). Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Elective Spine Surgery: National Prevalence and Inpatient Outcomes. Global Spine Journal, 8(6), 550–556. https://doi.org/10.1177/2192568217740898
JournalGLOBAL SPINE JOURNAL
Rights© The Author(s) 2017.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractPatients with OSA were, on average 2.6 years older than those without OSA (P < .001) and had a higher comorbidity burden. The prevalence of OSA increased between 2008 and 2012 from 3.5% to 6.8%; P < .001. OSA was associated with a 3-fold increase in major complications (P < .001) and was confirmed as an independent risk factor for major complications based on multivariate analysis (odds ratio [OR] = 2.82; 95% CI = 2.59-2.79; P < .001). Rates of deep venous thrombosis were doubled in patients with OSA. OSA was determined to be an independent predictor of pulmonary complications (OR = 2.69; 95% CI = 2.59-2.79; P < .001). OSA did not increase the risk of postoperative mortality.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
- Symptomless Multi-Variable Apnea Prediction Index Assesses Obstructive Sleep Apnea Risk and Adverse Outcomes in Elective Surgery.
- Authors: Lyons MM, Keenan BT, Li J, Khan T, Elkassabany N, Walsh CM, Williams NN, Pack AI, Gurubhagavatula I
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 1
- Preoperatively Screened Obstructive Sleep Apnea Is Associated With Worse Postoperative Outcomes Than Previously Diagnosed Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
- Authors: Fernandez-Bustamante A, Bartels K, Clavijo C, Scott BK, Kacmar R, Bullard K, Moss AFD, Henderson W, Juarez-Colunga E, Jameson L
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Association of Unrecognized Obstructive Sleep Apnea With Postoperative Cardiovascular Events in Patients Undergoing Major Noncardiac Surgery.
- Authors: Chan MTV, Wang CY, Seet E, Tam S, Lai HY, Chew EFF, Wu WKK, Cheng BCP, Lam CKM, Short TG, Hui DSC, Chung F, Postoperative Vascular Complications in Unrecognized Obstructive Sleep Apnea (POSA) Study Investigators.
- Issue date: 2019 May 14
- Impact of obstructive sleep apnea in transsphenoidal pituitary surgery: An analysis of inpatient data.
- Authors: Chung SY, Sylvester MJ, Patel VR, Zaki M, Baredes S, Liu JK, Eloy JA
- Issue date: 2018 May
- Outcomes and Complications After Spinal Fusion in Patients With Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
- Authors: Lin CC, Lu Y, Patel NA, Kiester PD, Rosen CD, Bhatia NN, Lee YP
- Issue date: 2019 May