AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Elect & Comp Engn
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDitzler, G., Bouaynaya, N., Shterenberg, R., & Fathallah-Shaykh, H. M. (2019). Approximate kernel reconstruction for time-varying networks. BioData mining, 12(1), 5.
Rights© The Author(s). 2019 Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractTo address the problem of inferring sparse time-varying networks from a set of under-sampled measurements, we propose the Approximate Kernel RecONstruction (AKRON) Kalman filter. AKRON supersedes the Lasso regularization by starting from the Lasso-Kalman inferred network and judiciously searching the space for a sparser solution. We derive theoretical bounds for the optimality of AKRON. We evaluate our approach against the Lasso-Kalman filter on synthetic data. The results show that not only does AKRON-Kalman provide better reconstruction errors, but it is also better at identifying if edges exist within a network. Furthermore, we perform a real-world benchmark on the lifecycle (embryonic, larval, pupal, and adult stages) of the Drosophila Melanogaster.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsNational Science Foundation (NSF) [CCF-1527822, DUE-1610911]
- Tracking of time-varying genomic regulatory networks with a LASSO-Kalman smoother.
- Authors: Khan J, Bouaynaya N, Fathallah-Shaykh HM
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 12
- A Kalman-filter based approach to identification of time-varying gene regulatory networks.
- Authors: Xiong J, Zhou T
- Issue date: 2013
- Inferring gene regulatory networks via nonlinear state-space models and exploiting sparsity.
- Authors: Noor A, Serpedin E, Nounou M, Nounou HN
- Issue date: 2012 Jul-Aug
- Recurrent neural network based hybrid model for reconstructing gene regulatory network.
- Authors: Raza K, Alam M
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Modeling time-varying brain networks with a self-tuning optimized Kalman filter.
- Authors: Pascucci D, Rubega M, Plomp G
- Issue date: 2020 Aug