A Novel Treatment for Massive Hemorrhage after Maternal Trauma in Pregnancy
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Obstet & Gynecol
Univ Arizona, Dept Surg
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherTHIEME MEDICAL PUBL INC
CitationGonzalez, M. G., Wei, R. M., Hatch, K. D., Gries, L. M., & Hill, M. G. (2019). A Novel Treatment for Massive Hemorrhage after Maternal Trauma in Pregnancy. American Journal of Perinatology Reports, 9(01), e27-e29.
RightsCopyright © 2019 by Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractTrauma in pregnancy can lead to life-threatening hemorrhage. Conventional treatments of hemorrhage include medical and surgical management. However, if these measures fail uterine compression is an option to control bleeding. We present a case where this management was employed. A patient presented at 36 weeks of gestation with multiple injuries after a motor vehicle collision and experienced disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC). The use of a Bakri balloon in combination with external compression with Coban, a sterile self-adherent bandage, after delivery temporized her bleeding and allowed her to become stable for further management. When other measures fail and a hysterectomy is considered unsafe, the combination of internal and external uterine compression is an option.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
- Nonpneumatic antishock garment combined with bakri balloon as a nonoperative "uterine sandwich" for temporization of massive postpartum hemorrhage from disseminated intravascular coagulation.
- Authors: Jelks A, Berletti M, Hamlett L, Hugin M
- Issue date: 2015
- Successful conservative treatment for massive uterine bleeding with non-septic disseminated intravascular coagulation after termination of early pregnancy in a woman with huge adenomyosis: case report.
- Authors: Kimura F, Takahashi A, Kitazawa J, Yoshino F, Katsura D, Amano T, Murakami T
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 19
- Use of an Obstetric Balloon for Postabortion Hemorrhage With Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation.
- Authors: Rydze R, Dixon K, Greely JT, Hawkins SM
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Experience with different techniques for the management of postpartum hemorrhage due to uterine atony: compression sutures, artery ligation and Bakri balloon.
- Authors: Cekmez Y, Ozkaya E, Öcal FD, Küçüközkan T
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Disseminated intravascular coagulation and massive obstetric hemorrhage. Management dilemma.
- Authors: Al-Nuaim LA, Mustafa MS, Abdel Gader AG
- Issue date: 2002 Jun