A Backwards Approach to Bariatric Surgery: The Perioperative Approach Used in a Woman with Situs Inversus Totalis Undergoing a Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Med
MetadataShow full item record
CitationVillalvazo Y, Jensen C M (October 18, 2018) A Backwards Approach to Bariatric Surgery: The Perioperative Approach Used in a Woman with Situs Inversus Totalis Undergoing a Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy. Cureus 10(10): e3464. doi:10.7759/cureus.3464
Rights© Copyright 2018. Villalvazo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License CC-BY 3.0.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractSitus inversus totalis is a rare congenital condition where organs are mirrored across the sagittal plane of the body. In the absence of associated comorbidities, most people have normal health and lifespan. Challenges with mirrored image anatomy arise when needing an operative procedure involving the intraabdominal organs. There are few reported cases in the literature of laparoscopic surgery in patients with situs inversus, with even fewer in the field of bariatric surgery. Obesity and obesity-related comorbidities continue to increase in our society, and bariatric surgery is a treatment option for weight loss. We report the perioperative approach used in a 59-year-old obese woman with confirmed situs inversus totalis undergoing laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as © Copyright 2018. Villalvazo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License CC-BY 3.0.
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for a super-super-obese patient with situs inversus totalis.
- Authors: Catheline JM, Rosales C, Cohen R, Bihan H, Fournier JL, Roussel J, Bénichou J
- Issue date: 2006 Aug
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy in Patients with Situs Inversus.
- Authors: Froylich D, Segal-Abramovich T, Pascal G, Hazzan D
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy in a patient with situs viscerum inversus totalis: is the life easy upside-down?
- Authors: Salerno A, Trotta M, Sarra G, D'Alessandro G, Marinari GM
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy with duodeno-jejunal bypass for morbid obesity in a patient with situs inversus totalis.
- Authors: Watanabe A, Seki Y, Kasama K
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy on a morbidly obese patient with situs inversus totalis: A case study and systematic review of the literature.
- Authors: Aziret M, Karaman K, Ercan M, Bostancı EB, Akoğlu M
- Issue date: 2017 Sep - Oct