Freeform surface selection based on parametric fitness function using modal wavefront fitting
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
Univ Arizona, Steward Observ
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherOPTICAL SOC AMER
CitationIsaac Trumper, Maham Aftab, and Dae Wook Kim, "Freeform surface selection based on parametric fitness function using modal wavefront fitting," Opt. Express 27, 6815-6831 (2019)
Rights© 2019 Optical Society of America under the terms of the OSA Open Access Publishing Agreement
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractWe present an analytic methodology to guide the selection of a surface within an optical design to apply freeform optimization. The methodology is discussed in the context of other means currently available, such as human intuition, aberration theory, and other direct surface construction methods. We describe the selection criteria for our proposed method and provide the form of the parametric fitness function used to combine the criterion. Finally, a case study comparing a design optimization procedure guided by the proposed methodology to human intuition is presented based on a real instrument designed for a millimeter-wave astronomy application. The methodology is shown to be effective even in the case of an optical system with a large number of freeform/optical surfaces. The proposed approach provides an objective and scalable solution to guide freeform optical system design by aiding a human's design intuition. (C) 2019 Optical Society of America under the terms of the OSA Open Access Publishing Agreement
NoteOpen access journal.
VersionFinal published version
- Theory of aberration fields for general optical systems with freeform surfaces.
- Authors: Fuerschbach K, Rolland JP, Thompson KP
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 3
- Aberration analysis for freeform surface terms overlay on general decentered and tilted optical surfaces.
- Authors: Yang T, Cheng D, Wang Y
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 19
- Ray-based optical design tool for freeform optics: coma full-field display.
- Authors: Bauer A, Rolland JP, Thompson KP
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 11
- Direct design of freeform surfaces and freeform imaging systems with a point-by-point three-dimensional construction-iteration method.
- Authors: Yang T, Zhu J, Wu X, Jin G
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 20
- Model of radial basis functions based on surface slope for optical freeform surfaces.
- Authors: Tong K, Zheng Y, Zhang Z, Zhao X, Zhang B, Song L, Wang L, Wang C, Wu P
- Issue date: 2018 May 28