AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
Univ Arizona, Steward Observ
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherOPTICAL SOC AMER
CitationL. R. Graves, H. Quach, H. Choi, and D. W. Kim, "Infinite deflectometry enabling 2π-steradian measurement range," Opt. Express 27, 7602-7615 (2019)
Rights© 2019 Optical Society of America under the terms of the OSA Open Access Publishing Agreement
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractWe present a novel deflectometry implementation termed Infinite Deflectometry. The technique provides a full aperture surface reconstruction sag map of freeform surfaces, including previously challenging to measure optics such as highly convex surfaces. The method relies on the creation of a virtual source enclosure around the tested optic, which creates a virtual 2 pi-steradian measurement range. To demonstrate the performance, a fast f/1.26 convex optical surface was measured with a commercial interferometer and with the Infinite Deflectometry system. After removing Zernike terms 1 through 37, the metrology tests resulted in absolute RMS surface values of 18.48 nm and 16.26 nm, respectively. Additionally, a freeform Alvarez lens was measured with the new technique and measured 22.34 mu m of surface sag RMS after piston, tip/tilt, and defocus had been removed. The result deviated by 488 nm RMS from a profilometer measurement while standard interferometry failed to measure the Alvarez lens due to its non-nulled wavefront dynamic range limitation. (C) 2019 Optical Society of America under the terms of the OSA Open Access Publishing Agreement
NoteOpen access journal.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsII-VI Foundation Block-Gift Program; Technology Research Initiative Fund Optics/Imaging Program; Korea Basic Science Institute Foundation; Friends of Tucson Optics Endowed Scholarships in Optical Sciences
- Model-free deflectometry for freeform optics measurement using an iterative reconstruction technique.
- Authors: Graves LR, Choi H, Zhao W, Oh CJ, Su P, Su T, Kim DW
- Issue date: 2018 May 1
- High-performance optical differentiation wavefront sensing towards freeform metrology.
- Authors: Swain BR, Dorrer C, Qiao J
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 9
- A "virtual-interferometer" technique for surface metrology.
- Authors: Jobling SM, Kwiat PG
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 26
- Fabrication of microinjection-molded miniature freeform Alvarez lenses.
- Authors: Li L, Raasch TW, Sieber I, Beckert E, Steinkopf R, Gengenbach U, Yi AY
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 1
- 3D surface mapping of freeform optics using wavelength scanning lateral shearing interferometry.
- Authors: Ghim YS, Rhee HG, Davies A, Yang HS, Lee YW
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 10