Relationship between dialytic parameters and reviewer confirmed arrhythmias in hemodialysis patients in the monitoring in dialysis study
AuthorTumlin, James A
Koplan, Bruce A
Costea, Alexandru I
Charytan, David M
AffiliationUniv Arizona Hlth Sci
MetadataShow full item record
CitationTumlin, J. A., Roy-Chaudhury, P., Koplan, B. A., Costea, A. I., Kher, V., Williamson, D., ... & Charytan, D. M. (2019). Relationship between dialytic parameters and reviewer confirmed arrhythmias in hemodialysis patients in the monitoring in dialysis study. BMC nephrology, 20(1), 80.
Rights© The Author(s). 2019. Open Access. This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractAmong 66 individuals with a mean age of 56 years, 12,480 events were detected in 64 (97%) patients. RCA nadired 12-24 h after dialysis and increased during the final 12 h of the inter-dialytic interval through the first 8 h after dialysis. Higher pre-dialysis serum magnesium concentration was associated with lower incidence rate ratio for arrythmia (IRR per 1 mg/dL increase 0.49, 95% CI; 0.25, 0.94), as was dialysate calcium concentration > 2.5 mEq/L vs. 2.5 mEq/L (IRR 0.52, 95% CI: 0.39, 0.70). Neither intradialytic serum potassium nor weight change were significantly associated with RCA rate. However, there was effect modification such that arrhythmia rate was maximal with concurrently high intradialytic volume and potassium removal (Pinteraction = 0.01).
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
- Primary outcomes of the Monitoring in Dialysis Study indicate that clinically significant arrhythmias are common in hemodialysis patients and related to dialytic cycle.
- Authors: Roy-Chaudhury P, Tumlin JA, Koplan BA, Costea AI, Kher V, Williamson D, Pokhariyal S, Charytan DM, MiD investigators and committees.
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Effect of Bicarbonate-Buffered Dialysate on Ventricular Arrhythmias in Hemodialysis Patients.
- Authors: Krahn RE, Tulowitzki R, Gudleski GD, Murray B, Rajagopalan B, Su W, Muscarella M, Lambert J, Curtis AB, Panesar M
- Issue date: 2019
- Dialysate Potassium, Serum Potassium, Mortality, and Arrhythmia Events in Hemodialysis: Results From the Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study (DOPPS).
- Authors: Karaboyas A, Zee J, Brunelli SM, Usvyat LA, Weiner DE, Maddux FW, Nissenson AR, Jadoul M, Locatelli F, Winkelmayer WC, Port FK, Robinson BM, Tentori F
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Intradialytic changes of serum magnesium and their relation to hypotensive episodes in hemodialysis patients on different dialysates.
- Authors: Elsharkawy MM, Youssef AM, Zayoon MY
- Issue date: 2006 Oct
- Role of dialysis sodium gradient on intradialytic hypertension: an observational study.
- Authors: Movilli E, Camerini C, Gaggia P, Zubani R, Feller P, Poiatti P, Pola A, Carli O, Valzorio B, Cancarini G
- Issue date: 2013