The operational environment and rotational acceleration of asteroid (101955) Bennu from OSIRIS-REx observations
AuthorHergenrother, C W
Maleszewski, C K
Nolan, M C
Drouet d'Aubigny, C Y
Shelly, F C
Howell, E S
Kareta, T R
Izawa, M R M
Barucci, M A
Bierhaus, E B
Chesley, S R
Clark, B E
Christensen, E J
DellaGiustina, D N
Golish, D R
Hartzell, C M
Scheeres, D J
Smith, P H
Lauretta, D S
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Steward Observ
Univ Arizona, Dept Astron
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherNATURE PUBLISHING GROUP
CitationHergenrother, C. W., Maleszewski, C. K., Nolan, M. C., Li, J. Y., d’Aubigny, C. D., Shelly, F. C., ... & Bierhaus, E. B. (2019). The operational environment and rotational acceleration of asteroid (101955) Bennu from OSIRIS-REx observations. Nature communications, 10(1), 1291.
Rights© The Author(s) 2019. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractDuring its approach to asteroid (101955) Bennu, NASA's Origins, Spectral Interpretation, Resource Identification, and Security-Regolith Explorer (OSIRIS-REx) spacecraft surveyed Bennu's immediate environment, photometric properties, and rotation state. Discovery of a dusty environment, a natural satellite, or unexpected asteroid characteristics would have had consequences for the mission's safety and observation strategy. Here we show that spacecraft observations during this period were highly sensitive to satellites (sub-meter scale) but reveal none, although later navigational images indicate that further investigation is needed. We constrain average dust production in September 2018 from Bennu's surface to an upper limit of 150 g s-1 averaged over 34 min. Bennu's disk-integrated photometric phase function validates measurements from the pre-encounter astronomical campaign. We demonstrate that Bennu's rotation rate is accelerating continuously at 3.63 ± 0.52 × 10-6 degrees day-2, likely due to the Yarkovsky-O'Keefe-Radzievskii-Paddack (YORP) effect, with evolutionary implications.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsNASA [NNM10AA11C]; NASA PDART Grant [80NSSC18K0987]; National Aeronautics and Space Administration; CNES
- The dynamic geophysical environment of (101955) Bennu based on OSIRIS-REx measurements.
- Authors: Scheeres DJ, McMahon JW, French AS, Brack DN, Chesley SR, Farnocchia D, Takahashi Y, Leonard JM, Geeraert J, Page B, Antreasian P, Getzandanner K, Rowlands D, Mazarico E, Small J, Highsmith DE, Moreau M, Emery JP, Rozitis B, Hirabayashi M, Sánchez P, Wal SV, Tricarico P, Ballouz RL, Johnson CL, Asad MMA, Susorney HCM, Barnouin OS, Daly MG, Seabrook J, Gaskell RW, Palmer EE, Weirich JR, Walsh KJ, Jawin ER, Bierhaus EB, Michel P, Bottke WF, Nolan MC, Connolly HC Jr, Lauretta DS, OSIRIS-REx Team.
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Particle Ejection Contributions to the Rotational Acceleration and Orbit Evolution of Asteroid (101955) Bennu.
- Authors: Scheeres DJ, McMahon JW, Brack DN, French AS, Chesley SR, Farnocchia D, Vokrouhlický D, Ballouz RL, Emery JP, Rozitis B, Nolan MC, Hergenrother CW, Lauretta DS
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- The unexpected surface of asteroid (101955) Bennu.
- Authors: Lauretta DS, DellaGiustina DN, Bennett CA, Golish DR, Becker KJ, Balram-Knutson SS, Barnouin OS, Becker TL, Bottke WF, Boynton WV, Campins H, Clark BE, Connolly HC Jr, Drouet d'Aubigny CY, Dworkin JP, Emery JP, Enos HL, Hamilton VE, Hergenrother CW, Howell ES, Izawa MRM, Kaplan HH, Nolan MC, Rizk B, Roper HL, Scheeres DJ, Smith PH, Walsh KJ, Wolner CWV, OSIRIS-REx Team.
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Evidence for widespread hydrated minerals on asteroid (101955) Bennu.
- Authors: Hamilton VE, Simon AA, Christensen PR, Reuter DC, Clark BE, Barucci MA, Bowles NE, Boynton WV, Brucato JR, Cloutis EA, Connolly HC Jr, Hanna KLD, Emery JP, Enos HL, Fornasier S, Haberle CW, Hanna RD, Howell ES, Kaplan HH, Keller LP, Lantz C, Li JY, Lim LF, McCoy TJ, Merlin F, Nolan MC, Praet A, Rozitis B, Sandford SA, Schrader DL, Thomas CA, Zou XD, Lauretta DS, OSIRIS-REx Team.
- Issue date: 2019
- Ground and In-Flight Calibration of the OSIRIS-REx Camera Suite.
- Authors: Golish DR, Drouet d'Aubigny C, Rizk B, DellaGiustina DN, Smith PH, Becker K, Shultz N, Stone T, Barker MK, Mazarico E, Tatsumi E, Gaskell RW, Harrison L, Merrill C, Fellows C, Williams B, O'Dougherty S, Whiteley M, Hancock J, Clark BE, Hergenrother CW, Lauretta DS
- Issue date: 2020