Pulmonary hypertension occurring with diazoxide use in a preterm infant with hypoglycemia
AuthorKylat, Ranjit I
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Med, Dept Pediat, Div Neonatal Perinatal Med & Dev Biol
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherDOVE MEDICAL PRESS LTD
CitationKylat, R. I. (2019). Pulmonary hypertension occurring with diazoxide use in a preterm infant with hypoglycemia. Drug, Healthcare and Patient Safety, 11, 7.
Rights© 2019 Kylat. This work is published and licensed by Dove Medical Press Limited. The full terms of this license are available at https://www.dovepress.com/terms.php and incorporate the Creative Commons Attribution – Non Commercial (unported, v3.0) License.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractPharmacologic modulation to open the KATP channels with diazoxide is useful in treating hyperinsulinemia. Diazoxide is being used more often in neonates with hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia. This report highlights a case of severe pulmonary hypertension (PH) with re-opening of ductus arteriosus in an extremely premature infant after the use of diazoxide. The rapid onset of PH with respiratory failure was completely reversible. This case emphasizes the need for extreme caution with use of diazoxide in the premature infant population, especially those with chronic lung disease of prematurity. In addition, the use of diazoxide should be limited to the persistent form of congenital hyperinsulinism, after adequate work up has been completed to evaluate for other causes of hypoglycemia. It is postulated that development of PH could be related to KATP agonsim.
NoteOpen access journal.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsUniversity of Arizona
- Pulmonary hypertension and reopening of the ductus arteriosus in an infant treated with diazoxide.
- Authors: Demirel F, Unal S, Çetin II, Esen I, Arasli A
- Issue date: 2011
- Prevalence of Adverse Events in Children With Congenital Hyperinsulinism Treated With Diazoxide.
- Authors: Herrera A, Vajravelu ME, Givler S, Mitteer L, Avitabile CM, Lord K, De León DD
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 1
- Cerebral Insufficiency Caused by Diazoxide in a Premature Neonate with Congenital Hyperinsulinism.
- Authors: Okada S, Fukunaga S, Ohta H, Furuta T, Hirano R, Motonaga T, Ishikawa Y
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Necrotizing Enterocolitis in Neonates With Hyperinsulinemic Hypoglycemia Treated With Diazoxide.
- Authors: Keyes ML, Healy H, Sparger KA, Orth LE, Geha M, Roumiantsev S, Matute JD
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- Therapy for persistent hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia of infancy. Understanding the responsiveness of beta cells to diazoxide and somatostatin.
- Authors: Kane C, Lindley KJ, Johnson PR, James RF, Milla PJ, Aynsley-Green A, Dunne MJ
- Issue date: 1997 Oct 1