Allergic Contact Dermatitis to Mastisol Adhesive Used for Skin Closure in Orthopedic Surgery: A Case Report
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Child Hlth, Coll Med
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherLIPPINCOTT WILLIAMS & WILKINS
CitationEzeh, U. E., Price, H. N., & Belthur, M. V. (2018). Allergic Contact Dermatitis to Mastisol Adhesive Used for Skin Closure in Orthopedic Surgery: A Case Report. JAAOS Global Research & Reviews, 2(9).
RightsCopyright © 2018 The Authors. Published by Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc. on behalf of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial-No Derivatives License 4.0 (CCBY-NC-ND).
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractWe report on a rare case of allergic contact dermatitis (ACD) from Mastisol liquid adhesive. We are aware of a few reports in the medical literature, but none describes an allergic reaction during the third exposure to the offending agent. Our patient was a 20-year-old Caucasian man with a history of cerebral palsy spastic hemiplegia who underwent single-event multilevel soft-tissue surgery to optimize function of his left upper extremity. He developed a severe cutaneous allergic reaction after his third exposure to Mastisol. He was subsequently admitted to the inpatient service and managed without further complications by a multidisciplinary team comprising orthopedics, pediatrics, and dermatology. We discuss the etiology, clinical features, diagnosis, and treatment of this entity, and we also review relevant available literature on the subject. We aim at creating further awareness of allergic reactions because of exposure to available skin-prepping and wound-dressing agents.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
- Liquid Adhesive Contact Dermatitis After Bunionectomy: A Case Report and Literature Review.
- Authors: Hood CR Jr, Cornell RS, Greenfield B
- Issue date: 2016 Jan-Feb
- Characterizing the Diagnosis and Treatment of Allergic Contact Dermatitis to 2-Octyl Cyanoacrylate Used for Skin Closure in Elective Orthopedic Surgery.
- Authors: Chalmers BP, Melugin HP, Sculco PK, Schoch JJ, Sierra RJ, Pagnano MW, Stuart MJ, Taunton MJ
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Allergic contact dermatitis from medical adhesive bandages in patients who report having a reaction to medical bandages.
- Authors: Widman TJ, Oostman H, Storrs FJ
- Issue date: 2008 Jan-Feb
- Contact Dermatitis Reaction to 2-Octyl Cyanoacrylate Following 3 Orthopedic Procedures.
- Authors: Lake NH, Barlow BT, Toledano JE, Valentine J, McDonald LS
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 1
- Functional outcomes following single-event multilevel surgery of the upper extremity for children with hemiplegic cerebral palsy.
- Authors: Smitherman JA, Davids JR, Tanner S, Hardin JW, Wagner LV, Peace LC, Gidewall MA
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 6