Steinbrecher, Gregory R
Ben Dixon, P
Wong, Franco N C
Shapiro, Jeffrey H
Hamilton, Scott A
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Mat Sci & Engn
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherOPTICAL SOC AMER
CitationLee, C., Bunandar, D., Zhang, Z., Steinbrecher, G. R., Dixon, P. B., Wong, F. N., ... & Englund, D. (2019). Large-alphabet encoding for higher-rate quantum key distribution. Optics Express, 27(13), 17539-17549.
Rights© 2019 Optical Society of America under the terms of the OSA Open Access Publishing Agreement
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractThe manipulation of high-dimensional degrees of freedom provides new opportunities for more efficient quantum information processing. It has recently been shown that high-dimensional encoded states can provide significant advantages over binary quantum states in applications of quantum computation and quantum communication. In particular, high-dimensional quantum key distribution enables higher secret-key generation rates under practical limitations of detectors or light sources, as well as greater error tolerance. Here, we demonstrate high-dimensional quantum key distribution capabilities both in the laboratory and over a deployed fiber, using photons encoded in a high-dimensional alphabet to increase the secure information yield per detected photon. By adjusting the alphabet size, it is possible to mitigate the effects of receiver bottlenecks and optimize the secret-key rates for different channel losses. This work presents a strategy for achieving higher secret-key rates in receiver-limited scenarios and marks an important step toward high-dimensional quantum communication in deployed fiber networks. (C) 2019 Optical Society of America under the terms of the OSA Open Access Publishing Agreement
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsU.S. Air Force [FA8721-05-C-0002, FA8702-15-D-0001]; Air Force Office of Scientific Research Multidisciplinary University Research Initiative [FA9550-14-1-0052]; Air Force Research Laboratory RITA [FA8750-14-2-0120, N00014-16-C-2069]
- Self-healing high-dimensional quantum key distribution using hybrid spin-orbit Bessel states.
- Authors: Nape I, Otte E, Vallés A, Rosales-Guzmán C, Cardano F, Denz C, Forbes A
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 15
- Two-dimensional distributed-phase-reference protocol for quantum key distribution.
- Authors: Bacco D, Christensen JB, Castaneda MA, Ding Y, Forchhammer S, Rottwitt K, Oxenløwe LK
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 22
- On-chip generation of high-dimensional entangled quantum states and their coherent control.
- Authors: Kues M, Reimer C, Roztocki P, Cortés LR, Sciara S, Wetzel B, Zhang Y, Cino A, Chu ST, Little BE, Moss DJ, Caspani L, Azaña J, Morandotti R
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 28
- Quantum key establishment via a multimode fiber.
- Authors: Amitonova LV, Tentrup TBH, Vellekoop IM, Pinkse PWH
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 2
- Efficient High-Dimensional Quantum Key Distribution with Hybrid Encoding.
- Authors: Jo Y, Park HS, Lee SW, Son W
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 17