Circularly and elliptically polarized light under water and the Umov effect
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDing, Y., & Pau, S. (2019). Circularly and elliptically polarized light under water and the Umov effect. Light: Science & Applications, 8(1), 32.
JournalLIGHT-SCIENCE & APPLICATIONS
Rights© The Author(s) 2019. Open Access This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractTotal internal reflection occurs when light is incident on the interface of high- and low-refractive-index materials at an angle greater than the critical angle. Sunlight with high degree of linear polarization, such as atmospheric scattered skylight, can be converted with a high efficiency up to 53% to circular and elliptical polarizations by total internal reflection under water in the region outside Snell's window. The degree of circular polarization is observed to be inversely dependent on the albedo of underwater objects and is shown to be a direct consequence of the Umov effect. Our results are important for underwater polarimetry, surveillance applications and studies of marine animals' polarized vision near the water-air interface.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
- Observation of elliptically polarized light from total internal reflection in bubbles.
- Authors: Miller S, Ding Y, Jiang L, Tu X, Pau S
- Issue date: 2020 May 26
- Underwater refraction-polarization patterns of skylight perceived by aquatic animals through Snell's window of the flat water surface.
- Authors: Horváth G, Varjú D
- Issue date: 1995 Jun
- Anomalous incident-angle and elliptical-polarization rotation of an elastically refracted P-wave.
- Authors: Fa L, Fa Y, Zhang Y, Ding P, Gong J, Li G, Li L, Tang S, Zhao M
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 5
- Circular and near-circular polarization states of evanescent monochromatic light fields in total internal reflection.
- Authors: Azzam RM
- Issue date: 2011 Nov 20
- Patterns and properties of polarized light in air and water.
- Authors: Cronin TW, Marshall J
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 12