Parkinsonism Risk Factors in Salt Lake City, Utah: A Community-Based Study
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Neurol
REM sleep behavior disorder
dementia with Lewy bodies
mild cognitive impairment
MetadataShow full item record
CitationShprecher D, Zhang N, Halverson M, Savica R. Parkinsonism Risk Factors in Salt Lake City, Utah: A Community-Based Study. Brain Sciences. 2019; 9(3):71.
Rights© 2019 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractA survey on prevalence of parkinsonism risk factors was designed using two validated instruments (REM behavior disorder single item question, bowel movement frequency for constipation) and three exploratory instruments (for hallucinations, cognitive and olfactory complaints.) It was sent by mail and email to patients aged 50 and over at two University of Utah community clinics in Salt Lake City. A total of 7888 unique patients were sent the survey, and 1607 responses were recorded (response rate 20%). Those whose age was missing (n = 117) or less than 50 years (n = 10) were excluded from the analysis.
NoteOpen access journal.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsUniversity of Utah Department of Neurology
- REM Sleep Behavior Disorder in Parkinson's Disease and Other Synucleinopathies.
- Authors: St Louis EK, Boeve AR, Boeve BF
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Idiopathic REM sleep behavior disorder and neurodegenerative risk: To tell or not to tell to the patient? How to minimize the risk?
- Authors: Arnaldi D, Antelmi E, St Louis EK, Postuma RB, Arnulf I
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Clinicopathologic correlations in 172 cases of rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder with or without a coexisting neurologic disorder.
- Authors: Boeve BF, Silber MH, Ferman TJ, Lin SC, Benarroch EE, Schmeichel AM, Ahlskog JE, Caselli RJ, Jacobson S, Sabbagh M, Adler C, Woodruff B, Beach TG, Iranzo A, Gelpi E, Santamaria J, Tolosa E, Singer C, Mash DC, Luca C, Arnulf I, Duyckaerts C, Schenck CH, Mahowald MW, Dauvilliers Y, Graff-Radford NR, Wszolek ZK, Parisi JE, Dugger B, Murray ME, Dickson DW
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- REM sleep without atonia in middle-aged and older psychiatric patients and Lewy body disease: a case series.
- Authors: Fujishiro H, Okuda M, Iwamoto K, Miyata S, Otake H, Noda A, Iritani S, Ozaki N
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Risk and predictors of dementia and parkinsonism in idiopathic REM sleep behaviour disorder: a multicentre study.
- Authors: Postuma RB, Iranzo A, Hu M, Högl B, Boeve BF, Manni R, Oertel WH, Arnulf I, Ferini-Strambi L, Puligheddu M, Antelmi E, Cochen De Cock V, Arnaldi D, Mollenhauer B, Videnovic A, Sonka K, Jung KY, Kunz D, Dauvilliers Y, Provini F, Lewis SJ, Buskova J, Pavlova M, Heidbreder A, Montplaisir JY, Santamaria J, Barber TR, Stefani A, St Louis EK, Terzaghi M, Janzen A, Leu-Semenescu S, Plazzi G, Nobili F, Sixel-Doering F, Dusek P, Bes F, Cortelli P, Ehgoetz Martens K, Gagnon JF, Gaig C, Zucconi M, Trenkwalder C, Gan-Or Z, Lo C, Rolinski M, Mahlknecht P, Holzknecht E, Boeve AR, Teigen LN, Toscano G, Mayer G, Morbelli S, Dawson B, Pelletier A
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 1