Accelerated nonlinear interactions in graded-index multimode fibers
AuthorEftekhar, M A
Lopez-Aviles, H E
Antonio-Lopez, J E
Christodoulides, D N
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherNATURE PUBLISHING GROUP
CitationEftekhar, M. A., Sanjabi-Eznaveh, Z., Lopez-Aviles, H. E., Benis, S., Antonio-Lopez, J. E., Kolesik, M., ... & Christodoulides, D. N. (2019). Accelerated nonlinear interactions in graded-index multimode fibers. Nature communications, 10.
Rights© The Author(s) 2019. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractMultimode optical fibers have recently reemerged as a viable platform for addressing a number of long-standing issues associated with information bandwidth requirements and power-handling capabilities. As shown in recent studies, the complex nature of such heavily multimoded systems can be effectively exploited to observe altogether novel physical effects arising from spatiotemporal and intermodal linear and nonlinear processes. Here, we study for the first time, accelerated nonlinear intermodal interactions in core-diameter decreasing multimode fibers. We demonstrate that in the anomalous dispersion region, this spatiotemporal acceleration can lead to relatively blue-shifted multimode solitons and blue-drifting dispersive wave combs, while in the normal domain, to a notably flat and uniform supercontinuum, extending over 2.5 octaves. Our results pave the way towards a deeper understanding of the physics and complexity of nonlinear, heavily multimoded optical systems, and could lead to highly tunable optical sources with very high spectral densities.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsOffice of Naval Research (ONR) [MURI N00014-17-1-2588]; National Science Foundation (NSF) [ECCS-1711230]; HEL-JTO [W911NF-12-1-0450]; Army Research Office (ARO) [W911NF-12-1-0450]; Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR) [FA955015-10041]; Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) [NPRP9-020-1-006]; National Science Foundation [ACI-1548562]
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as © The Author(s) 2019. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Visible supercontinuum generation in a graded index multimode fiber pumped at 1064 nm.
- Authors: Lopez-Galmiche G, Sanjabi Eznaveh Z, Eftekhar MA, Antonio Lopez J, Wright LG, Wise F, Christodoulides D, Amezcua Correa R
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 1
- Discretized Conical Waves in Multimode Optical Fibers.
- Authors: Kibler B, Béjot P
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 15
- Graded-index breathing solitons from Airy pulses in multimode fibers.
- Authors: Deng Z, Chen Y, Liu J, Zhao C, Fan D
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 21
- Versatile supercontinuum generation in parabolic multimode optical fibers.
- Authors: Eftekhar MA, Wright LG, Mills MS, Kolesik M, Correa RA, Wise FW, Christodoulides DN
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 17
- Higher-order mode supercontinuum generation in dispersion-engineered liquid-core fibers.
- Authors: Scheibinger R, Lüpken NM, Chemnitz M, Schaarschmidt K, Kobelke J, Fallnich C, Schmidt MA
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 5