Right atrial myxoma presenting as a pulmonary embolism in a 32-year-old female
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Med
Univ Arizona, Dept Surg, Div Cardiothorac Surg
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherSAGE PUBLICATIONS LTD
CitationPandey, A. C., Carey, J. J., & Thompson, J. L. (2019). Right atrial myxoma presenting as a pulmonary embolism in a 32-year-old female. JRSM Cardiovascular Disease. https://doi.org/10.1177/2048004018817606
JournalJRSM CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE
Rights© The Author(s) 2019. Creative Commons Non Commercial CC BY-NC: This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons AttributionNonCommercial 4.0 License (http://www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/) which permits non commercial use, reproduction and distribution of the work without further permission provided the original work is attributed as specified on the SAGE and Open Access pages (https://us.sagepub.com/en-us/nam/open-access-at-sage).
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractPrimary cardiac tumors are typically benign, with myxomas being most common. We present a 32-year-old female with a chief complaint of dyspnea and a constant non-radiating chest pressure along the left sternal border. She was found to have a pulmonary embolism that was ultimately caused by embolization of a right atrial myxoma with remnants of a large, highly mobile mass attached to the right inter-atrial septum prolapsing through the tricuspid valve. The patient underwent a median sternotomy, right atrial mass resection, pulmonary embolectomy, and inter-atrial septum reconstruction using the patient's pericardium. The importance of finding the etiology of initial diagnoses is stressed with long-term outcomes for patients.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
- Atrial myxoma presenting with orthostatic hypotension in an 84-year-old Hispanic man: a case report.
- Authors: Vicari RM, Polanco E, Schechtmann N, Santiago JO, Shaurya K, Halstead M, Marszal D, Grosskreutz T, Thareja S
- Issue date: 2009 Dec 14
- Successful surgical treatment of a right atrial myxoma complicated by pulmonary embolism.
- Authors: Jung J, Hong YS, Lee CJ, Lim SH, Choi H, Lee S
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- A giant right atrial villous myxoma with simultaneous pulmonary embolism.
- Authors: Aydın C, Taşal A, Ay Y, Vatankulu MA, Inan B, Bacaksız A
- Issue date: 2014
- Sporadic Multicentric Right Atrial and Right Ventricular Myxoma Presenting as Acute Pulmonary Thromboembolism.
- Authors: Singh S, Tripathy MP, Mohanty BB, Biswas S
- Issue date: 2016 Jan-Mar
- Surgical treatment of right atrial myxoma complicated with pulmonary embolism.
- Authors: Canale LS, Colafranceschi AS, Leal Botelho ES, de Oliveira Monteiro AJ
- Issue date: 2009 Sep