Silicone optical elements for cost-effective freeform solar concentration
Lyons, Nicholas P
Diaz, Liliana Ruiz
Norwood, Robert A
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherOPTICAL SOC AMER
CitationCui, S., Lyons, N. P., Diaz, L. R., Ketchum, R., Kim, K. J., Yuan, H. C., ... & Norwood, R. A. (2019). Silicone optical elements for cost-effective freeform solar concentration. Optics express, 27(8), A572-A580.
RightsCopyright © 2019 Optical Society of America under the terms of the OSA Open Access Publishing Agreement.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractThe use of silicone optical elements is demonstrated for a concentrated photovoltaic system. These components show over 96% transmission through most of the solar spectrum and excellent temperature stability. Unique moldability enables the use of complex freeform designs. A light, compact, and cost-effective concentrated photovoltaic system based on silicone optics is proposed. In this system, air-plasma treatment is utilized to overcome the mechanical properties of silicone and difficulties with coating to reduce Fresnel loss. Lens arrays and waveguides are fabricated by injection molding following freeform optical design by LightTools. First-order characterizations are also performed. (c) 2019 Optical Society of America under the terms of the OSA Open Access Publishing Agreement
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsAdvanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E) MOSAIC program [DE-AR0000839]
- Thermal compensation of molded silicone optics.
- Authors: Lyons NP, Cui S, Ketchum RS, Kim KJ, Norwood RA
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 1
- A Review of the Precision Glass Molding of Chalcogenide Glass (ChG) for Infrared Optics.
- Authors: Zhou T, Zhu Z, Liu X, Liang Z, Wang X
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 2
- Free-form optics for Fresnel-lens-based photovoltaic concentrators.
- Authors: Miñano JC, Benítez P, Zamora P, Buljan M, Mohedano R, Santamaría A
- Issue date: 2013 May 6
- Design and fabrication of a freeform microlens array for a compact large-field-of-view compound-eye camera.
- Authors: Li L, Yi AY
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 20
- Fabrication of microinjection-molded miniature freeform Alvarez lenses.
- Authors: Li L, Raasch TW, Sieber I, Beckert E, Steinkopf R, Gengenbach U, Yi AY
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 1