Effectiveness and Tolerability of Vildagliptin and the Single Pill Combination of Vildagliptin and Metformin in "Real-World" Management of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: The G-FORCE Study
AuthorVan Gaal, Luc
Hermans, Michel P
De Meester, Lut
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Ctr Hlth Outcomes & Pharmacoecon Res
Univ Arizona, Dept Pharm Practice & Sci
Univ Arizona, Dept Family & Community Med
MetadataShow full item record
CitationVan Gaal, L., Hermans, M. P., Daci, E., Denhaerynck, K., De Meester, L., MacDonald, K., ... & Maris, M. (2019). Effectiveness and Tolerability of Vildagliptin and the Single Pill Combination of Vildagliptin and Metformin in “Real-World” Management of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: The G-FORCE Study. Diabetes Therapy, 10(3), 965-979.
Rights© The Author(s) 2019. Open access. This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/), which permits any noncommercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractIntroduction: Randomized clinical trials showed that vildagliptin is well tolerated and leads to clinically meaningful decreases in glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) and fasting plasma glucose (FPG) both in monotherapy and as add-on therapy in inadequately controlled type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) patients. Nevertheless, there is an increased interest for real-life studies to confirm the clinical trial findings in the setting of a daily clinical practice. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness and tolerability of vildagliptin in a real-life clinical setting and to explore factors determining drug adherence and T2DM management. Methods: G-FORCE was a prospective, observational, open-label, multi-center study in which T2DM patients were prescribed de novo vildagliptin. Clinical effectiveness was determined by changes in HbA1c and FPG and by the proportion of patients reaching glycemic goal. Data were collected at baseline, after 10515 days and after 18015 days. Results: A total of 1230 patients were included in this analysis. Mean age was 63.9 +/- 10.8years, and mean HbA1c and FPG levels were 8.2 +/- 1.3% and 171.0 +/- 53.3mg/dL, respectively. At 180days of treatment, HbA1c and FPG levels decreased to 7.2 +/- 1.0% and 141.1 +/- 44.0mg/dL, respectively, while the proportion of patients reaching HbA1c and FPG goals rose from 8.6 to 44.6% and from 14.2 to 42.8%, respectively. Conclusion: In this real-world study, vildagliptin was an effective and safe treatment for T2DM patients already treated with metformin, while the single pill combination of vildagliptin and metformin provides a convenient alternative while ensuring comparable effectiveness and tolerability. Funding: Novartis Pharma.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
- Patient engagement impacts glycemic management with vildagliptin and vildagliptin/metformin (single pill) regimens in type 2 diabetes mellitus (the GLORIOUS study).
- Authors: Hermans M, Van Gaal L, Rézette I, Daci E, MacDonald K, Denhaerynck K, Vancayzeele S, De Meester L, Clemens A, Yee B, Abraham I
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Comparison of the Effectiveness and Safety of Vildagliptin Add-On to Metformin Versus Other Oral Dual Antidiabetes Agents in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes: The China Prospective Diabetes Study.
- Authors: Zang L, Han Y, Chen L, Hu D, Jin H, Yang N, Shi X, Liang L, Liu M, Fan H, Li Q, Mu Y
- Issue date: 2019 Aug
- Vildagliptin efficacy in combination with metformin among Jordanian patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus inadequately controlled with metformin.
- Authors: Al Omari M, Khader Y, Dauod AS, Beni Yonis OA, Khassawneh AH
- Issue date: 2016
- Effectiveness of vildagliptin as add-on to metformin monotherapy among uncontrolled type 2 diabetes mellitus patients in a real-world setting.
- Authors: Melzer Cohen C, Davis C, Shalev V, Chodick G
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Effectiveness and tolerability of second-line treatment with vildagliptin versus other oral drugs for type 2 diabetes in a real-world setting in the Middle East: results from the EDGE study.
- Authors: Saab C, Al-Saber FA, Haddad J, Jallo MK, Steitieh H, Bader G, Ibrahim M
- Issue date: 2015