A preliminary analysis of interleukin-1 ligands as potential predictive biomarkers of response to cetuximab
Fertig, Elana J
Stabile, Laura P
Bauman, Julie E
Gibson-Corley, Katherine N
Jensen, Isaac J
Badovinac, Vladimir P
Simons, Andrean L
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Canc Ctr, Div Hematol & Oncol
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEspinosa-Cotton, M., Fertig, E. J., Stabile, L. P., Gaither-Davis, A., Bauman, J. E., Schmitz, S., ... & Laux, D. (2019). A preliminary analysis of interleukin-1 ligands as potential predictive biomarkers of response to cetuximab. Biomarker research, 7(1), 14.
Rights© The Author(s). 2019 Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made. The Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication waiver (http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/) applies to the data made available in this article, unless otherwise stated.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractThe epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) monoclonal IgG1 antibody cetuximab is approved for first-line treatment of recurrent and metastatic (R/M) HNSCC as a part of the standard of care EXTREME regimen (platinum/5-fluorouracil/cetuximab). This regimen has relatively high response and disease control rates but is generally not curative and many patients will experience recurrent disease and/or metastasis. Therefore, there is a great need to identify predictive biomarkers for recurrence and disease progression in cetuximab-treated HNSCC patients to facilitate patient management and allow for treatment modification. The goal of this work is to assess the potential of activating interleukin-1 (IL-1) ligands (IL-1 alpha [IL-1α], IL-1 beta [IL-1β]) as predictive biomarkers of survival outcomes in HNSCC patients treated with cetuximab-based chemotherapy.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
Sponsors2016 AACR-Bayer Innovation and Discovery Grant [16-80-44-SIMO]; National Institutes of Health (NIH) [R01DE024550, F99CA223062, R01 CA177669, P30 CA006973, P50 DE019032, T32 AI007511]; University of Iowa Department of Pathology Research Grant; University of Iowa Head and Neck Cancer Symposium Seed Grant; Johns Hopkins University Catalyst Award
- Epidermal growth factor receptor targeted therapy in stages III and IV head and neck cancer.
- Authors: Cripps C, Winquist E, Devries MC, Stys-Norman D, Gilbert R, Head and Neck Cancer Disease Site Group.
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Interleukin-1 alpha increases anti-tumor efficacy of cetuximab in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Espinosa-Cotton M, Rodman Iii SN, Ross KA, Jensen IJ, Sangodeyi-Miller K, McLaren AJ, Dahl RA, Gibson-Corley KN, Koch AT, Fu YX, Badovinac VP, Laux D, Narasimhan B, Simons AL
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 19
- Biomarkers of cetuximab resistance in patients with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Leblanc O, Vacher S, Lecerf C, Jeannot E, Klijanienko J, Berger F, Hoffmann C, Calugaru V, Badois N, Chilles A, Lesnik M, Krhili S, Bieche I, Le Tourneau C, Kamal M
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 15
- Cetuximab-Containing Combinations in Locally Advanced and Recurrent or Metastatic Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma.
- Authors: Taberna M, Oliva M, Mesía R
- Issue date: 2019
- Evaluation of EGFR gene copy number as a predictive biomarker for the efficacy of cetuximab in combination with chemotherapy in the first-line treatment of recurrent and/or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck: EXTREME study.
- Authors: Licitra L, Mesia R, Rivera F, Remenár E, Hitt R, Erfán J, Rottey S, Kawecki A, Zabolotnyy D, Benasso M, Störkel S, Senger S, Stroh C, Vermorken JB
- Issue date: 2011 May