Flexible resource use strategies of a central-place forager experiencing dynamic risk and opportunity
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Nat Resources & Environm
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHefty, K. L., & Stewart, K. M. (2019). Flexible resource use strategies of a central-place forager experiencing dynamic risk and opportunity. Movement ecology, 7(1), 1-10.
RightsCopyright © The Author(s). 2019 Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made. The Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication waiver (http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/) applies to the data made available in this article, unless otherwise stated.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractWe used data collected from GPS loggers on golden-mantled ground squirrels (Callospermophilus lateralis) to model selection or avoidance of resources in two seasons of seed availability and one season in which no seeds were available. Movement decisions were measured in short-term discrete time intervals using high resolution location data. Selection or avoidance of specific resource features that entail fitness consequences were then assessed using resource selection functions.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsUniversity of Nevada, Reno, Whittell Forest Graduate Fellowship endowed fund
- Mallard resource selection trade-offs in a heterogeneous environment during autumn and winter.
- Authors: Palumbo MD, Petrie SA, Schummer M, Rubin BD, Bonner S
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Balancing energy budget in a central-place forager: which habitat to select in a heterogeneous environment?
- Authors: Patenaude-Monette M, Bélisle M, Giroux JF
- Issue date: 2014
- Selection of food patches by sympatric herbivores in response to concealment and distance from a refuge.
- Authors: Crowell MM, Shipley LA, Camp MJ, Rachlow JL, Forbey JS, Johnson TR
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Indirect effects of prey swamping: differential seed predation during a bamboo masting event.
- Authors: Kitzberger T, Chaneton EJ, Caccia F
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- Functional responses in animal movement explain spatial heterogeneity in animal-habitat relationships.
- Authors: Mason THE, Fortin D
- Issue date: 2017 Jul