HER2/HER3 regulates lactate secretion and expression of lactate receptor mRNA through the MAP3K4 associated protein GIT1
AuthorGarcia-Flores, Alejandro E
Sollome, James J
Bower, Joseph L
Vaillancourt, Richard R
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Pharm, Dept Pharmacol & Toxicol
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherNATURE PUBLISHING GROUP
CitationGarcia-Flores, A. E., Sollome, J. J., Thavathiru, E., Bower, J. L., & Vaillancourt, R. R. (2019). HER2/HER3 regulates lactate secretion and expression of lactate receptor mRNA through the MAP3K4 associated protein GIT1. Scientific reports, 9(1), 10823.
RightsCopyright © The Author(s) 2019. Open Access This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which permits use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made. The images or other third party material in this article are included in the article’s Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the article’s Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractOne of the major features of cancer is Otto Warburg's observation that many tumors have increased extracellular acidification compared to healthy tissues. Since Warburg's observation, the importance of extracellular acidification in cancer is now considered a hallmark of cancer. Human MAP3K4 functions upstream of the p38 and JNK mitogen activated protein kinases (MAPKs). Additionally, MAP3K4 is required for cell migration and extracellular acidification of breast cancer cells in response to HER2/HER3 signaling. Here, we demonstrate that GIT1 interacts with MAP3K4 by immunoprecipitation, while cellular lactate production and the capacity of MCF-7 cells for anchorage independent growth in soft agar were dependent on GIT1. Additionally, we show that activation of HER2/HER3 signaling leads to reduced expression of lactate receptor (GPR81) mRNA and that both, GIT1 and MAP3K4, are necessary for constitutive expression of GPR81 mRNA. Our study suggests that targeting downstream proteins in the HER2/HER3-induced extracellular lactate signaling pathway may be a way to inhibit the Warburg Effect to disrupt tumor growth.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsNIEHS Training grant [ES007091]; Arizona Science Foundation [CAA 0226-08, ES006694, ES012007, ES04940]
- HER2/HER3 regulates extracellular acidification and cell migration through MTK1 (MEKK4).
- Authors: Sollome JJ, Thavathiru E, Camenisch TD, Vaillancourt RR
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- ERBB3 (HER3) is a key sensor in the regulation of ERBB-mediated signaling in both low and high ERBB2 (HER2) expressing cancer cells.
- Authors: Choi BK, Fan X, Deng H, Zhang N, An Z
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- A functional comparison between the HER2(high)/HER3 and the HER2(low)/HER3 dimers on heregulin-β1-induced MMP-1 and MMP-9 expression in breast cancer cells.
- Authors: Kim S, Han J, Shin I, Kil WH, Lee JE, Nam SJ
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 31
- Anti-cancer effect of metformin by suppressing signaling pathway of HER2 and HER3 in tamoxifen-resistant breast cancer cells.
- Authors: Kim J, Lee J, Kim C, Choi J, Kim A
- Issue date: 2016 May
- A new model system identifies epidermal growth factor receptor-human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) and HER2-human epidermal growth factor receptor 3 heterodimers as potent inducers of oesophageal epithelial cell invasion.
- Authors: Fichter CD, Przypadlo CM, Buck A, Herbener N, Riedel B, Schäfer L, Nakagawa H, Walch A, Reinheckel T, Werner M, Lassmann S
- Issue date: 2017 Dec