PD-1 Inhibition Achieves a Complete Metabolic Response in a Patient with Malignant Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Pharm, Dept Pharm Practice & Sci
Univ Arizona, Ctr Canc
Univ Arizona, Coll Med, Dept Med
Univ Arizona, Coll Med, Dept Med Imaging
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherAMER ASSOC CANCER RESEARCH
CitationDavis, L. E., Nicholls, L. A., Babiker, H. M., Liau, J., & Mahadevan, D. (2019). PD-1 Inhibition Achieves a Complete Metabolic Response in a Patient with Malignant Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor. Cancer immunology research, 7(9), 1396-1400.
JournalCANCER IMMUNOLOGY RESEARCH
RightsCopyright © 2019 American Association for Cancer Research.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractHigh-grade malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors (MPNST) have a poor prognosis with limited responsiveness to systemic therapy. We document a case of a complete metabolic response to pembrolizumab monotherapy in metastatic disease. Tumor molecular profiling identified programmed-death ligand-1 (PD-L1) positivity. This characteristic provided a rationale for immune-checkpoint therapy. Treatment with pembrolizumab resulted in a complete metabolic response after four cycles of therapy. Patients with PD-L1-positive, metastatic MPNST may be candidates for immune-checkpoint therapy, which may produce a durable completere mission. Future study of anti-PD-1/PD-L1 therapy is warranted.
Note12 month embargo; published online: 1 September 2019
VersionFinal accepted manuscript
SponsorsCCSG P30 supplement from the NCI
- Characterizing the immune microenvironment of malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor by PD-L1 expression and presence of CD8+ tumor infiltrating lymphocytes.
- Authors: Shurell E, Singh AS, Crompton JG, Jensen S, Li Y, Dry S, Nelson S, Chmielowski B, Bernthal N, Federman N, Tumeh P, Eilber FC
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 27
- Durable Near-Complete Response to Anti-PD-1 Checkpoint Immunotherapy in a Refractory Malignant Solitary Fibrous Tumor of the Pleura.
- Authors: Boothe JT, Budd GT, Smolkin MB, Ma PC
- Issue date: 2017 Sep-Dec
- Association of Survival and Immune-Related Biomarkers With Immunotherapy in Patients With Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Meta-analysis and Individual Patient-Level Analysis.
- Authors: Yu Y, Zeng D, Ou Q, Liu S, Li A, Chen Y, Lin D, Gao Q, Zhou H, Liao W, Yao H
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 3
- Nivolumab to pembrolizumab switch induced a durable melanoma response: A case report.
- Authors: Lepir T, Zaghouani M, Roche SP, Li YY, Suarez M, Irias MJ, Savaraj N
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Clinical safety and activity of pembrolizumab in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma (KEYNOTE-028): preliminary results from a non-randomised, open-label, phase 1b trial.
- Authors: Alley EW, Lopez J, Santoro A, Morosky A, Saraf S, Piperdi B, van Brummelen E
- Issue date: 2017 May