Impact of chronic migraine attacks and their severity on the endogenous μ-opioid neurotransmission in the limbic system
Nascimento, Thiago D
DosSantos, Marcos F
Koeppe, Robert A
Smith, Yolanda R
Bigal, Marcelo E
Casey, Kenneth L
DaSilva, Alexandre F
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Pharmacol
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherELSEVIER SCI LTD
CitationJassar, H., Nascimento, T. D., Kaciroti, N., DosSantos, M. F., Danciu, T., Koeppe, R. A., ... & Zubieta, J. K. (2019). Impact of chronic migraine attacks and their severity on the endogenous μ-opioid neurotransmission in the limbic system. NeuroImage: Clinical, 101905.
RightsCopyright © 2019 The Authors. Published by Elsevier Inc. This is an open access article under the CC BY-NC-ND license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/BY-NC-ND/4.0/).
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractWe scanned 15 migraine patients during the spontaneous headache attack (ictal phase): 7 individuals with CM and 8 with episodic migraine (EM), as well as 7 healthy controls (HC), using positron emission tomography (PET) with the selective μ-opioid receptor (μOR) radiotracer [11C]carfentanil. Migraineurs were scanned in two paradigms, one with thermal pain threshold challenge applied to the site of the headache, and one without thermal challenge. Multivariable analysis was performed between the μ-opioid receptor availability and the clinical data.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsNational Institute of Health -National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, USA [NIH-NINDS K23 NS062946, R01 NS094413]; Dana Foundation's Brain and Immuno-Imaging Award, USA; Migraine Research Foundation Research Grant Award, USA
- Dopamine D2/D3 imbalance during migraine attack and allodynia in vivo.
- Authors: DaSilva AF, Nascimento TD, Jassar H, Heffernan J, Toback RL, Lucas S, DosSantos MF, Bellile EL, Boonstra PS, Taylor JMG, Casey KL, Koeppe RA, Smith YR, Zubieta JK
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 25
- 3D-neuronavigation in vivo through a patient's brain during a spontaneous migraine headache.
- Authors: DaSilva AF, Nascimento TD, Love T, DosSantos MF, Martikainen IK, Cummiford CM, DeBoer M, Lucas SR, Bender MA, Koeppe RA, Hall T, Petty S, Maslowski E, Smith YR, Zubieta JK
- Issue date: 2014 Jun 2
- Association of μ-Opioid Activation in the Prefrontal Cortex with Spontaneous Migraine Attacks - Brief Report I.
- Authors: DaSilva AF, Nascimento TD, DosSantos MF, Lucas S, van HolsbeecK H, DeBoer M, Maslowski E, Love T, Martikainen IK, Koeppe RA, Smith YR, Zubieta JK
- Issue date: 2014 Jun 1
- µ-Opioid Activity in Chronic TMD Pain Is Associated with COMT Polymorphism.
- Authors: Nascimento TD, Yang N, Salman D, Jassar H, Kaciroti N, Bellile E, Danciu T, Koeppe R, Stohler C, Zubieta JK, Ellingrod V, DaSilva AF
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- Nicotine-specific and non-specific effects of cigarette smoking on endogenous opioid mechanisms.
- Authors: Nuechterlein EB, Ni L, Domino EF, Zubieta JK
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 1