Low Dose Carbon Monoxide Exposure in Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Produces a CO Signature Comprised of Oxidative Phosphorylation Genes
Gonzalez-Garay, Manuel L
Rosas, Ivan O
Goldberg, Hilary J
Ryter, Stefan W
Collard, Harold R
Flaherty, Kevin R
Hunninghake, Gary M
Lasky, Joseph A
Lederer, David J
Machado, Roberto F
Martinez, Fernando J
Choi, Augustine M K
Garcia, Joe G N
AffiliationUniv Arizona Hlth Sci, Dept Med
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherNATURE PUBLISHING GROUP
CitationCasanova, N., Zhou, T., Gonzalez-Garay, M.L. et al. Low Dose Carbon Monoxide Exposure in Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Produces a CO Signature Comprised of Oxidative Phosphorylation Genes. Sci Rep 9, 14802 (2019) doi:10.1038/s41598-019-50585-3
RightsCopyright © The Author(s) 2019. Open Access This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractCompelling preclinical studies indicate that low-dose carbon monoxide (CO) abrogates experimental lung fibrosis. We recently reported the results of a multicenter, double-blinded, clinical trial of inhaled CO in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF). Identifying no significantly changes in metalloproteinase-7 (MMP7) serum concentration, or secondary endpoints of physiologic measurements, hospitalization, death, or patient-reported outcomes. In the present study, we evaluated the effect of low dose CO exposure (100-200 ppm) for 12 weeks on genome-wide gene expression in peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC) derived from these IPF study subjects. We conducted transcriptome profiling on 38 IPF subjects with time points available at 0, 12, and 24 weeks. Total RNA isolated from PBMCs was hybridized onto the Affymetrix Human Gene 2.0 ST Array. We identified 621 genes significantly upregulated in the 24-week CO exposed group compared with the 12-week. Pathway analysis demonstrated association with Oxidative Phosphorylation (adjusted P < 0.05). We identified a clear CO signature dominated with 23 oxidative phosphorylation-related genes (FDR < 10%). We confirmed the expression of nine selected gene products using Nanostring's nCounter analysis system. These findings suggest this signature may serve as a potential genomic biomarker for CO exposure and for potential titration of dosage to allow precision testing of therapies in future low dose CO therapeutic studies in IPF.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsUnited States Department of Health & Human Services National Institutes of Health (NIH) - USA NIH National Heart Lung & Blood Institute (NHLBI) [5U01HL105371-03, SA 106476]
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Copyright © The Author(s) 2019. Open Access This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- A Phase II Clinical Trial of Low-Dose Inhaled Carbon Monoxide in Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis.
- Authors: Rosas IO, Goldberg HJ, Collard HR, El-Chemaly S, Flaherty K, Hunninghake GM, Lasky JA, Lederer DJ, Machado R, Martinez FJ, Maurer R, Teller D, Noth I, Peters E, Raghu G, Garcia JGN, Choi AMK
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- The peripheral blood transcriptome identifies the presence and extent of disease in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.
- Authors: Yang IV, Luna LG, Cotter J, Talbert J, Leach SM, Kidd R, Turner J, Kummer N, Kervitsky D, Brown KK, Boon K, Schwarz MI, Schwartz DA, Steele MP
- Issue date: 2012
- A functional genomic model for predicting prognosis in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.
- Authors: Huang Y, Ma SF, Vij R, Oldham JM, Herazo-Maya J, Broderick SM, Strek ME, White SR, Hogarth DK, Sandbo NK, Lussier YA, Gibson KF, Kaminski N, Garcia JG, Noth I
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 21
- Identification and validation of differentially expressed transcripts by RNA-sequencing of formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded (FFPE) lung tissue from patients with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis.
- Authors: Vukmirovic M, Herazo-Maya JD, Blackmon J, Skodric-Trifunovic V, Jovanovic D, Pavlovic S, Stojsic J, Zeljkovic V, Yan X, Homer R, Stefanovic B, Kaminski N
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 12
- Validation of a 52-gene risk profile for outcome prediction in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: an international, multicentre, cohort study.
- Authors: Herazo-Maya JD, Sun J, Molyneaux PL, Li Q, Villalba JA, Tzouvelekis A, Lynn H, Juan-Guardela BM, Risquez C, Osorio JC, Yan X, Michel G, Aurelien N, Lindell KO, Klesen MJ, Moffatt MF, Cookson WO, Zhang Y, Garcia JGN, Noth I, Prasse A, Bar-Joseph Z, Gibson KF, Zhao H, Herzog EL, Rosas IO, Maher TM, Kaminski N
- Issue date: 2017 Nov