AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Nursing
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherLIPPINCOTT WILLIAMS & WILKINS
CitationBethel, C., Olson, S., Bay, C., Uyeda, T., & Johnson, K. (2019). Travel Nurse Onboarding: Current Trends and Identified Needs. JONA: The Journal of Nursing Administration, 49(9), 436-440.
RightsCopyright © 2019 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc. All rights reserved.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractOBJECTIVE The purpose of this study was to describe current practices for onboarding travel nurses (TRNs) and identify TRNs' specific onboarding needs. BACKGROUND Onboarding must be streamlined and organized for TRNs to provide safe patient care. METHODS Cross-sectional descriptive survey was used with 306 TRNs throughout United States who were recruited electronically from a closed social media group page. RESULTS The TRNs identified critical information, including unit patient ratios, onboarding schedule 7 to 14 days before travel assignment start, and login IDs/accesses on day 1. Travel nurse onboarding and competency assessment checklists should be specific to the unit/facility where they will work. CONCLUSION Findings from this study have the potential to support hospitals in the development of streamlined and tailored TRN onboarding to support regulatory compliance and patient safety as well as realize significant cost savings for TRN onboarding.
Note12 month embargo; published online: 1 September 2019
VersionFinal accepted manuscript
SponsorsBanner Health Nursing Development Fund
- Work on Safe Staffing Guidelines Halted in the United Kingdom.
- Authors: Halpern LW
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Is a serious nurse shortage coming?
- Authors: Ackley NL
- Issue date: 1999 Mar
- Orienting and Onboarding Clinical Nurse Specialists: A Process Improvement Project.
- Authors: Garcia MG, Watt JL, Falder-Saeed K, Lewis B, Patton L
- Issue date: 2017 May/Jun
- Hospital staff nurses' shift length associated with safety and quality of care.
- Authors: Stimpfel AW, Aiken LH
- Issue date: 2013 Apr-Jun
- A Comprehensive Onboarding and Orientation Plan for Neurocritical Care Advanced Practice Providers.
- Authors: Langley TM, Dority J, Fraser JF, Hatton KW
- Issue date: 2018 Jun