Predictors and their prognostic value for no ROSC and mortality after a non-cardiac surgery intraoperative cardiac arrest: a retrospective cohort study
AuthorVane, Matheus F
Carmona, Maria J C
Pereira, Sergio M
Kern, Karl B
Vane, Luiz Antonio
Otsuki, Denise Aya
Auler, José O C
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Saver Heart Ctr
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherNATURE PUBLISHING GROUP
CitationVane, M.F., Carmona, M.J.C., Pereira, S.M. et al. Predictors and their prognostic value for no ROSC and mortality after a non-cardiac surgery intraoperative cardiac arrest: a retrospective cohort study. Sci Rep 9, 14975 (2019) doi:10.1038/s41598-019-51557-3
RightsCopyright © The Author(s) 2019. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which permits use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made. The images or other third party material in this article are included in the article’s Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the article’s Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractData on predictors of intraoperative cardiac arrest (ICA) outcomes are scarce in the literature. This study analysed predictors of poor outcome and their prognostic value after an ICA. Clinical and laboratory data before and 24 hours (h) after ICA were analysed as predictors for no return of spontaneous circulation (ROSC) and 24 h and 1-year mortality. Receiver operating characteristic curves for each predictor and sensitivity, specificity, positive and negative likelihood ratios, and post-test probability were calculated. A total of 167,574 anaesthetic procedures were performed, including 158 cases of ICAs. Based on the predictors for no ROSC, a threshold of 13 minutes of ICA yielded the highest area under curve (AUC) (0.867[0.80–0.93]), with a sensitivity and specificity of 78.4% [69.6–86.3%] and 89.3% [80.4–96.4%], respectively. For the 1-year mortality, the GCS without the verbal component 24 h after an ICA had the highest AUC (0.616 [0.792–0.956]), with a sensitivity of 79.3% [65.5–93.1%] and specificity of 86.1 [74.4–95.4]. ICA duration and GCS 24 h after the event had the best prognostic value for no ROSC and 1-year mortality. For 24 h mortality, no predictors had prognostic value.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
- Decision tree model for predicting long-term outcomes in children with out-of-hospital cardiac arrest: a nationwide, population-based observational study.
- Authors: Goto Y, Maeda T, Nakatsu-Goto Y
- Issue date: 2014 Jun 27
- Use of S-100B, NSE, CRP and ESR to predict neurological outcomes in patients with return of spontaneous circulation and treated with hypothermia.
- Authors: Choi S, Park K, Ryu S, Kang T, Kim H, Cho S, Oh S
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Number of Prehospital Defibrillation Shocks and the Return of Spontaneous Circulation in Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest.
- Authors: Jouffroy R, Ravasse P, Saade A, Idialisoa R, Philippe P, Carli P, Vivien B
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Prognostic values of blood ammonia and partial pressure of ammonia on hospital arrival in out-of-hospital cardiac arrests.
- Authors: Lin CH, Chi CH, Wu SY, Hsu HC, Chang YH, Huang YY, Chang CJ, Hong MY, Chan TY, Shih HI
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- Coronary perfusion pressure and return of spontaneous circulation after prolonged cardiac arrest.
- Authors: Reynolds JC, Salcido DD, Menegazzi JJ
- Issue date: 2010 Jan-Mar