Randomization procedures in single-case intervention research contexts: (Some of) "the rest of the story"
MetadataShow full item record
CitationLevin, J.R., Kratochwill, T.R. and Ferron, J.M. (2019), Randomization procedures in single‐case intervention research contexts: (Some of) “the rest of the story”. Jrnl Exper Analysis Behavior, 112: 334-348. doi:10.1002/jeab.558
Rights© 2019 Society for the Experimental Analysis of Behavior
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractFollowing up on articles recently published in this journal, the present contribution tells (some of) "the rest of the story" about the value of randomization in single-case intervention research investigations. Invoking principles of internal, statistical-conclusion, and external validity, we begin by emphasizing the critical distinction between design randomization and analysis randomization, along with the necessary correspondence between the two. Four different types of single-case design-and-analysis randomization are then discussed. The persistent negative influence of serially dependent single-case outcome observations is highlighted, accompanied by examples of inappropriate applications of parametric and nonparametric tests that have appeared in the literature. We conclude by presenting valid applications of single-case randomization procedures in various single-case intervention contexts, with specific reference to a freely available Excel-based software package that can be accessed to incorporate the present randomization schemes into a wide variety of single-case intervention designs and analyses.
Note12 month embargo; published online: 10 November 2019
VersionFinal accepted manuscript
- An R package for single-case randomization tests.
- Authors: Bulté I, Onghena P
- Issue date: 2008 May
- Randomization tests as alternative analysis methods for behavior-analytic data.
- Authors: Craig AR, Fisher WW
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Power of a randomization test in a single case multiple baseline AB design.
- Authors: Bouwmeester S, Jongerling J
- Issue date: 2020
- Single case and idiographic research: Introduction to the special issue.
- Authors: Persons JB, Boswell JF
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- Nonparametric statistical tests for single-case systematic and randomized ABAB…AB and alternating treatment intervention designs: new developments, new directions.
- Authors: Levin JR, Ferron JM, Kratochwill TR
- Issue date: 2012 Oct