Carcinoembryonic antigen cell adhesion molecule 6 (CEACAM6) in Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma (PDA): An integrative analysis of a novel therapeutic target
Barker, Natalie K
Cooke, Laurence S
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Canc Ctr
Univ Arizona, Dept Cellular & Mol Med
Univ Arizona, Coll Med, Dept Med
Univ Arizona, Coll Med, Dept Radiat Oncol
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherNATURE PUBLISHING GROUP
CitationPandey, R., Zhou, M., Islam, S. et al. Carcinoembryonic antigen cell adhesion molecule 6 (CEACAM6) in Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma (PDA): An integrative analysis of a novel therapeutic target. Sci Rep 9, 18347 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-54545-9
RightsCopyright © The Author(s) 2019. Open Access This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which permits use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made. Te images or other third party material in this article are included in the article’s Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the article’s Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractWe investigated biomarker CEACAM6, a highly abundant cell surface adhesion receptor that modulates the extracellular matrix (ECM) in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDA). The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA) and Gene Expression Omnibus (GEO) RNA-Seq data from PDA patients were analyzed for CEACAM6 expression and evaluated for overall survival, association, enrichment and correlations. A CRISPR/Cas9 Knockout (KO) of CEACAM6 in PDA cell line for quantitative proteomics, mitochondrial bioenergetics and tumor growth in mice were conducted. We found CEACAM6 is over-expressed in primary and metastatic basal and classical PDA subtypes. Highest levels are in classical activated stroma subtype. CEACAM6 over-expression is universally a poor prognostic marker in KRAS mutant and wild type PDA. High CEACAM6 expression is associated with low cytolytic T-cell activity in both basal and classical PDA subtypes and correlates with low levels of T-REG markers. In HPAF-II cells knockout of CEACAM6 alters ECM-cell adhesion, catabolism, immune environment, transmembrane transport and autophagy. CEACAM6 loss increases mitochondrial basal and maximal respiratory capacity. HPAF-II CEACAM6-/- cells are growth suppressed by >65% vs. wild type in mice bearing tumors. CEACAM6, a key regulator affects several hallmarks of PDA including the fibrotic reaction, immune regulation, energy metabolism and is a novel therapeutic target in PDA.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsUniversity of Arizona Cancer Center Cancer Center Support Grant [P30 CA023074]; NCIUnited States Department of Health & Human ServicesNational Institutes of Health (NIH) - USANIH National Cancer Institute (NCI) [2P30 CA023074]
- Emerging Role and Targeting of Carcinoembryonic Antigen-related Cell Adhesion Molecule 6 (CEACAM6) in Human Malignancies.
- Authors: Johnson B, Mahadevan D
- Issue date: 2015 Feb
- Expression and clinical significance of carcinoembryonic antigen-related cell adhesion molecule 6 in breast cancers.
- Authors: Tsang JY, Kwok YK, Chan KW, Ni YB, Chow WN, Lau KF, Shao MM, Chan SK, Tan PH, Tse GM
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Overexpression and clinical significance of carcinoembryonic antigen-related cell adhesion molecule 6 in colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Kim KS, Kim JT, Lee SJ, Kang MA, Choe IS, Kang YH, Kim SY, Yeom YI, Lee YH, Kim JH, Kim KH, Kim CN, Kim JW, Nam MS, Lee HG
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 16
- Preclinical evaluation of carcinoembryonic cell adhesion molecule (CEACAM) 6 as potential therapy target for pancreatic adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Strickland LA, Ross J, Williams S, Ross S, Romero M, Spencer S, Erickson R, Sutcliffe J, Verbeke C, Polakis P, van Bruggen N, Koeppen H
- Issue date: 2009 Jul
- c-Src-dependent cross-talk between CEACAM6 and alphavbeta3 integrin enhances pancreatic adenocarcinoma cell adhesion to extracellular matrix components.
- Authors: Duxbury MS, Ito H, Ashley SW, Whang EE
- Issue date: 2004 Apr 23