AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
Univ Arizona, Dept Syst & Ind Engn
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHuang, C., Geng, J., Luo, T., Han, J., Wang, Q., Liang, R., … Jiang, S. (2019). Rare Earth Doped Optical Fibers with Multi-section Core. IScience, 22, 423–429. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isci.2019.11.017
RightsCopyright © 2019 The Author(s). Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. This is an open access article under the CC BY-NC-ND license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractThe gain bandwidth of a single-mode fiber is limited by the atomic transitions of one rare earth gain element. Here we overcome this long-standing challenge by designing a new single-mode fiber with multi-section core, where each section is doped with different gain element. We theoretically propose and experimentally demonstrate that this configuration provides a gain bandwidth well beyond the capability of conventional design, whereas the inclusion of multiple sections does not compromise single-mode operation or the quality of the transverse modal profile. This new fiber will be beneficial in realizing all fiber laser systems with few-cycle pulse duration or octave tunability.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
- Mode-resolved gain analysis and lasing in multi-supermode multi-core fiber laser.
- Authors: Jollivet C, Mafi A, Flamm D, Duparré M, Schuster K, Grimm S, Schülzgen A
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 1
- Adaptive modal gain controlling for a high-efficiency cylindrical vector beam fiber laser.
- Authors: Fang WT, Tao RX, Zhang YM, Li HX, Yao PJ, Xu LX
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 28
- Single-polarization ultra-large-mode-area Yb-doped photonic crystal fiber.
- Authors: Schmidt O, Rothhardt J, Eidam T, Röser F, Limpert J, Tünnermann A, Hansen KP, Jakobsen C, Broeng J
- Issue date: 2008 Mar 17
- Fundamental mode operation of a 19-core phase-locked Yb-doped fiber amplifier.
- Authors: Huo Y, Cheo P, King G
- Issue date: 2004 Dec 13
- Explaining simultaneous dual-band carbon nanotube mode-locking Erbium-doped fiber laser by net gain cross section variation.
- Authors: Rosa HG, Steinberg D, Thoroh de Souza EA
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 17