Esophageal Actinomycosis Presenting as an Obstructive Esophageal Mass
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Med, Dept Internal Med
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherLIPPINCOTT WILLIAMS & WILKINS
CitationAlshati, A., Appleton, L., Maddux, J. T., Almohammedawi, M., & Dangerfield, B. (2019). Esophageal Actinomycosis Presenting as an Obstructive Esophageal Mass. ACG Case Reports Journal, 6(7), e00140. https://doi.org/10.14309/crj.0000000000000140
JournalACG CASE REPORTS JOURNAL
RightsCopyright © 2019 The Author(s). Published by Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc. on behalf of The American College of Gastroenterology. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0 (CCBY), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractEsophageal actinomycosis is a rare type of esophageal infection, with only approximately 24 cases previously reported in the United States. Most of these cases were described as erosions or ulcers when examined endoscopically. We present a 47-year-old woman who presented with dysphagia. Endoscopy showed a lower esophageal fungating mass, mimicking a malignant mass. Although there was a high suspicion of esophageal carcinoma, biopsy results showed esophageal actinomyces infection.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
- [Esophageal actinomycosis in patients with HIV infection].
- Authors: Maquera-Afaray J, Pérez-Lazo G, Magallanes J, Arenas J
- Issue date: 2019 Apr-Jun
- Esophageal actinomycosis.
- Authors: Chou FT, Cheng KS, Chiang IP
- Issue date: 2006 Jul-Aug
- Pulmonary actinomycosis mimicking a lung metastasis from esophageal cancer; a case report.
- Authors: Nagao M, Fukuda A, Matsumura T, Kimura T, Seno H
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 27
- Esophageal Actinomycoses Mimicking Malignancy.
- Authors: Pillappa R, O'Brien TF, Sullivan JL, Weksler B
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Esophageal actinomycosis: a case report and review of the literature.
- Authors: Arora AK, Nord J, Olofinlade O, Javors B
- Issue date: 2003 Winter