Augmented reality navigation to assist retrograde peroneal access for the endovascular treatment of critical limb ischemia
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Surg, Div Vasc Surg
MetadataShow full item record
CitationLu, W., Wang, L., Zhou, W., & Fu, W. (2019). Augmented reality navigation to assist retrograde peroneal access for the endovascular treatment of critical limb ischemia. Journal of Vascular Surgery Cases and Innovative Techniques, 5(4), 518–520. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvscit.2019.06.004
RightsCopyright © 2019 The Authors. Published by Elsevier Inc. on behalf of Society for Vascular Surgery. This is an open access article under the CC BY-NC-ND license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractRetrograde access is an alternative approach to endovascular intervention for critical limb ischemia but may be challenging in patients with poor below-knee vessel runoff. Here, we introduce an innovative technique based on an augmented reality navigation system to gain successful retrograde access to the peroneal artery of an 84-year-old woman with critical limb ischemia. Our result showed that this innovative technique had the potential advantage of influencing target vessel access selection with lower contrast material volume and radiation exposure compared with the conventional approach. More in-depth study is required to investigate the safety and efficacy of augmented reality-assisted vascular interventions.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsScience and Technology Project of Fujian Provincial Natural Science Fund of China [2017J01376]
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Copyright © 2019 The Authors. Published by Elsevier Inc. on behalf of Society for Vascular Surgery. This is an open access article under the CC BY-NC-ND license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
- Endovascular retrograde recanalization in Asian critical limb ischaemia patients.
- Authors: Tay JS, Ching SS, Tan YK, Kum SWC
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Peroneal bypass versus endovascular peroneal intervention for critical limb ischemia.
- Authors: Mohapatra A, Boitet A, Malak O, Henry JC, Avgerinos ED, Makaroun MS, Hager ES, Chaer RA
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Retrograde Transpedal Access for Revascularization of Below-the-Knee Arteries in Patients with Critical Limb Ischemia after an Unsuccessful Antegrade Transfemoral Approach.
- Authors: Goltz JP, Planert M, Horn M, Wiedner M, Kleemann M, Barkhausen J, Stahlberg E
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Extreme below-the-knee interventions: retrograde transmetatarsal or transplantar arch access for foot salvage in challenging cases of critical limb ischemia.
- Authors: Palena LM, Manzi M
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Retrograde Pedal Access and Endovascular Revascularization: A Safe and Effective Technique for High-Risk Patients with Complex Tibial Vessel Disease.
- Authors: El-Sayed H, Bennett ME, Loh TM, Davies MG
- Issue date: 2016 Feb