Molecular characterization of two previously undescribed begomovirus-associated alphasatellite molecules infecting malvaceous species in Cameroon
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Sch Plant Sci
MetadataShow full item record
CitationLeke, W.N., Kvarnheden, A., Avelar, S. et al. Molecular characterization of two previously undescribed begomovirus-associated alphasatellite molecules infecting malvaceous species in Cameroon. Arch Virol 165, 775–779 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00705-020-04523-8
JournalARCHIVES OF VIROLOGY
Rights© Springer-Verlag GmbH Austria, part of Springer Nature 2020
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractTwo begomovirus-associated alphasatellites were isolated from okra and a malvastrum plant (Malvaceae) in Cameroon. The complete nucleotide sequences of the okra- and malvastrum-infecting alphasatellites were 1375 and 1416-1418 nucleotides, respectively, and both exhibited features characteristic of other alphasatellites. Based on pairwise sequence comparisons, these previously undescribed alphasatellites are members of distinct species in the genera Colecusatellite and Gosmusatellite and have been tentatively named "pepper yellow vein Mali alphasatellite" and "cotton leaf curl Gezira alphasatellite3", respectively. Taken together with previous studies, alphasatellites endemic to Cameroon appear to be more diverse and infect plants of many more species and families than currently recognized.
Note12 month embargo; published online: 9 January 2020
VersionFinal accepted manuscript
- Molecular characterization of begomoviruses and DNA satellites associated with okra leaf curl disease in Cameroon.
- Authors: Leke WN, Sattar MN, Ngane EB, Ngeve JM, Kvarnheden A, Brown JK
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Molecular diversity, recombination and population structure of alphasatellites associated with begomovirus disease complexes.
- Authors: Vinoth Kumar R, Singh D, Singh AK, Chakraborty S
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Complete nucleotide sequences of okra isolates of Cotton leaf curl Gezira virus and their associated DNA-beta from Niger.
- Authors: Shih SL, Kumar S, Tsai WS, Lee LM, Green SK
- Issue date: 2009
- Molecular diversity of cotton leaf curl Gezira virus isolates and their satellite DNAs associated with okra leaf curl disease in Burkina Faso.
- Authors: Tiendrébéogo F, Lefeuvre P, Hoareau M, Villemot J, Konaté G, Traoré AS, Barro N, Traoré VS, Reynaud B, Traoré O, Lett JM
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 23
- Identification of a disease complex involving a novel monopartite begomovirus with beta- and alphasatellites associated with okra leaf curl disease in Oman.
- Authors: Akhtar S, Khan AJ, Singh AS, Briddon RW
- Issue date: 2014 May