Optical Carrier-Wave Subcycle Structures Associated with Supercritical Collapse of Long-Wavelength Intense Pulses Propagating in Weakly Anomalously Dispersive Media
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
Univ Arizona, Program Appl Math
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherAMER PHYSICAL SOC
CitationHofstrand, A., & Moloney, J. V. (2020). Optical Carrier-Wave Subcycle Structures Associated with Supercritical Collapse of Long-Wavelength Intense Pulses Propagating in Weakly Anomalously Dispersive Media. Physical Review Letters, 124(4). https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevlett.124.043901
JournalPHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS
RightsCopyright © 2020 American Physical Society
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractWe predict the emergence of attosecond-duration structures on an optical carrier wave when intense, long-wavelength pulses propagate through bulk media with weak anomalous dispersion. Under certain conditions, these structures can undergo a new type of carrier-resolved supercritical collapse, forming infinite spatiotemporal gradients in the field. The mathematical conditions for the onset of this singularity are briefly overviewed, and we demonstrate with a full 3D + time (3 + 1) simulation that such structures persist under realistic conditions for a 10 micron laser pulse propagating in air.
VersionFinal published version
- Spatiotemporal dynamics of electromagnetic pulses in saturating nonlinear optical media with normal group velocity dispersion.
- Authors: Skarka V, Berezhiani VI, Miklaszewski R
- Issue date: 1999 Dec
- Generation of intense subcycle optical pulses in a gas.
- Authors: Kida Y, Imasaka T
- Issue date: 2015 May 4
- Localized optical subcycle pulses in dispersive media.
- Authors: Orlov S, Piskarskas A, Stabinis A
- Issue date: 2002 Dec 15
- Transit time of optical pulses propagating through a finite length medium.
- Authors: Bloemer M, Myneni K, Centini M, Scalora M, D'Aguanno G
- Issue date: 2002 May
- Attosecond streaking measurement of extreme ultraviolet pulses using a long-wavelength electric field.
- Authors: Saito N, Ishii N, Kanai T, Watanabe S, Itatani J
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 18