Observation of elliptically polarized light from total internal reflection in bubbles
AffiliationUniv Arizona, James C Wyant Coll Opt Sci
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherNATURE PUBLISHING GROUP
CitationMiller, S., Ding, Y., Jiang, L. et al. Observation of elliptically polarized light from total internal reflection in bubbles. Sci Rep 10, 8725 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-65410-5
RightsCopyright © The Author(s) 2020. Open Access This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractBubbles are ubiquitous in the natural environment, where different substances and phases of the same substance forms globules due to differences in pressure and surface tension. Total internal reflection occurs at the interface of a bubble, where light travels from the higher refractive index material outside a bubble to the lower index material inside a bubble at appropriate angles of incidence, which can lead to a phase shift in the reflected light. Linearly polarized skylight can be converted to elliptically polarized light with efficiency up to 53% by single scattering from the water-air interface. Total internal reflection from air bubble in water is one of the few sources of elliptical polarization in the natural world. Stationary and dynamic scenes of air bubbles in water in both indoor and outdoor settings are studied using an imaging polarimeter. Our results are important for studies in fluid dynamics, remote sensing, and polarimetry.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Copyright © The Author(s) 2020. Open Access This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Circularly and elliptically polarized light under water and the Umov effect.
- Authors: Ding Y, Pau S
- Issue date: 2019
- Air bubble-induced light-scattering effect on image quality in 193 nm immersion lithography.
- Authors: Fan Y, Lafferty N, Bourov A, Zavyalova L, Smith BW
- Issue date: 2005 Jul 1
- Analyzing Spectral Characteristics of Water Involving In-Situ Multiangle Polarized Reflectance and Extraction of Water-Leaving Radiance.
- Authors: Shen Q, Li JS, Zhang B, Wu YH, Zou L, Wu TX
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Nanobubbles at the interface between water and a hydrophobic solid.
- Authors: Zhang XH, Quinn A, Ducker WA
- Issue date: 2008 May 6
- Elliptically polarized sum-frequency generation by total-internal-reflection-based optical rotation quasi-phase-matching technique.
- Authors: Saha M, Deb S
- Issue date: 2022 Apr 20