Blood Pressure Variability and Risk of Heart Failure in ACCORD and the VADT
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Mel & Enid Zuckerman Coll Publ Hlth, Dept Epidemiol & Biostat
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherAMER DIABETES ASSOC
CitationNuyujukian, D. S., Koska, J., Bahn, G., Reaven, P. D., Zhou, J. J., & VADT Investigators. (2020). Blood Pressure Variability and Risk of Heart Failure in ACCORD and the VADT. Diabetes Care. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc19-2540
Rights© 2020 by the American Diabetes Association. Readers may use this article as long as the work is properly cited, the use is educational and not for profit, and the work is not altered. More information is available at https://www.diabetesjournals.org/content/license.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractIn ACCORD, CV and ARV of SBP and DBP were associated with increased risk of HF, even after adjusting for other risk factors and mean blood pressure (e.g., CV-SBP: hazard ratio [HR] 1.15, P = 0.01; CV-DBP: HR 1.18, P = 0.003). In the VADT, DBP variability was associated with increased risk of HF (ARV-DBP: HR 1.16, P = 0.001; CV-DBP: HR 1.09, P = 0.04). Further, in ACCORD, those with progressively lower baseline blood pressure demonstrated a stepwise increase in risk of HF with higher CV-SBP, ARV-SBP, and CV-DBP. Effects of blood pressure variability were related to dips, not elevations, in blood pressure.
VersionFinal accepted manuscript
- Blood pressure and cardiovascular disease risk in the Veterans Affairs Diabetes Trial.
- Authors: Anderson RJ, Bahn GD, Moritz TE, Kaufman D, Abraira C, Duckworth W, VADT Study Group.
- Issue date: 2011 Jan
- Fasting Glucose Variation Predicts Microvascular Risk in ACCORD and VADT.
- Authors: Zhou JJ, Koska J, Bahn G, Reaven P
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 25
- Intensive Blood Pressure Lowering in Patients With and Patients Without Type 2 Diabetes: A Pooled Analysis From Two Randomized Trials.
- Authors: Brouwer TF, Vehmeijer JT, Kalkman DN, Berger WR, van den Born BH, Peters RJ, Knops RE
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- The Influence of Baseline Diastolic Blood Pressure on the Effects of Intensive Blood Pressure Lowering on Cardiovascular Outcomes and All-Cause Mortality in Type 2 Diabetes.
- Authors: Ilkun OL, Greene T, Cheung AK, Whelton PK, Wei G, Boucher RE, Ambrosius W, Chertow GM, Beddhu S
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Long-term variability of blood pressure and incidence of heart failure among individuals with Type 2 diabetes.
- Authors: Kaze AD, Santhanam P, Erqou S, Bertoni AG, Ahima RS, Echouffo-Tcheugui JB
- Issue date: 2021 Aug