Double triage to identify poorly annotated genes in maize: The missing link in community curation
AuthorTello-Ruiz, Marcela K
Marco, Cristina F
Khangura, Rajdeep S
Stitzer, Michelle C
Barone, Lindsay C
Olson, Andrew C
Micklos, David A
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Sch Plant Sci
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherPUBLIC LIBRARY SCIENCE
CitationTello-Ruiz, M. K., Marco, C. F., Hsu, F. M., Khangura, R. S., Qiao, P., Sapkota, S., ... & Micklos, D. A. (2019). Double triage to identify poorly annotated genes in maize: The missing link in community curation. PloS one, 14(10), e0224086.
RightsThis is an open access article, free of all copyright, and may be freely reproduced, distributed, transmitted, modified, built upon, or otherwise used by anyone for any lawful purpose. The work is made available under the Creative Commons CC0 public domain dedication.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractThe sophistication of gene prediction algorithms and the abundance of RNA-based evidence for the maize genome may suggest that manual curation of gene models is no longer necessary. However, quality metrics generated by the MAKER-P gene annotation pipeline identified 17,225 of 130,330 (13%) protein-coding transcripts in the B73 Reference Genome V4 gene set with models of low concordance to available biological evidence. Working with eight graduate students, we used the Apollo annotation editor to curate 86 transcript models flagged by quality metrics and a complimentary method using the Gramene gene tree visualizer. All of the triaged models had significant errors-including missing or extra exons, non-canonical splice sites, and incorrect UTRs. A correct transcript model existed for about 60% of genes (or transcripts) flagged by quality metrics; we attribute this to the convention of elevating the transcript with the longest coding sequence (CDS) to the canonical, or first, position. The remaining 40% of flagged genes resulted in novel annotations and represent a manual curation space of about 10% of the maize genome (similar to 4,000 protein-coding genes). MAKER-P metrics have a specificity of 100%, and a sensitivity of 85%; the gene tree visualizer has a specificity of 100%. Together with the Apollo graphical editor, our double triage provides an infrastructure to support the community curation of eukaryotic genomes by scientists, students, and potentially even citizen scientists.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This is an open access article, free of all copyright, and may be freely reproduced, distributed, transmitted, modified, built upon, or otherwise used by anyone for any lawful purpose. The work is made available under the Creative Commons CC0 public domain dedication.
- Automated update, revision, and quality control of the maize genome annotations using MAKER-P improves the B73 RefGen_v3 gene models and identifies new genes.
- Authors: Law M, Childs KL, Campbell MS, Stein JC, Olson AJ, Holt C, Panchy N, Lei J, Jiao D, Andorf CM, Lawrence CJ, Ware D, Shiu SH, Sun Y, Jiang N, Yandell M
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Expert curation of the human and mouse olfactory receptor gene repertoires identifies conserved coding regions split across two exons.
- Authors: Barnes IHA, Ibarra-Soria X, Fitzgerald S, Gonzalez JM, Davidson C, Hardy MP, Manthravadi D, Van Gerven L, Jorissen M, Zeng Z, Khan M, Mombaerts P, Harrow J, Logan DW, Frankish A
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 3
- Structural and Functional Annotation of Eukaryotic Genomes with GenSAS.
- Authors: Humann JL, Lee T, Ficklin S, Main D
- Issue date: 2019
- Maize and millet transcription factors annotated using comparative genomic and transcriptomic data.
- Authors: Lin JJ, Yu CP, Chang YM, Chen SC, Li WH
- Issue date: 2014 Sep 27
- Comparison of RefSeq protein-coding regions in human and vertebrate genomes.
- Authors: Fong JH, Murphy TD, Pruitt KD
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 25