fRNAkenseq: a fully powered-by-CyVerse cloud integrated RNA-sequencing analysis tool
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Plant & Soil Sci
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHubbard, A., Bomhoff, M., & Schmidt, C. J. (2020). fRNAkenseq: a fully powered-by-CyVerse cloud integrated RNA-sequencing analysis tool. PeerJ, 8, e8592.
Rights© 2020 Hubbard et al. Distributed under Creative Commons CC-BY 4.0.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractBackground: Decreasing costs make RNA sequencing technologies increasingly affordable for biologists. However, many researchers who can now afford sequencing lack access to resources necessary for downstream analysis. This means that even as algorithms to process RNA-Seq data improve, many biologists still struggle to manage the sheer volume of data produced by next generation sequencing (NGS) technologies. Scalable bioinformatics tools that exploit multiple platforms are needed to democratize bioinformatics resources in the sequencing era. This is essential for equipping many research groups in the life sciences with the tools to process the increasingly unwieldy datasets they produce. Methods: One strategy to address this challenge is to develop a modern generation of sequence analysis tools capable of seamless data sharing and communication. Such tools will provide interoperability through offerings of interlinked resources. Systems of interlinked, scalable resources, which often incorporate cloud data storage, are broadly referred to as cyberinfrastructure. Cyberinfrastructure integrated tools will help researchers to robustly analyze large scale datasets by efficiently sharing data burdens across a distributed architecture. Additionally, interoperability will allow emerging tools to cross-adapt features of existing tools. It is important that these tools are designed to be easy to use for biologists. Results: We introduce fRNAkenseq, a powered-by-CyVerse RNA sequencing analysis tool that exhibits interoperability with other resources and meets the needs of biologists for comprehensive, easy to use RNA sequencing analysis. fRNAkenseq leverages a complex set of Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) associated with the NSF-funded cyberinfrastructure project, CyVerse, to execute FASTQ-to-differential expression RNA-Seq analyses. Integrating across bioinformatics platforms, fRNAkenseq also exploits cloud integration and cross-talk with another CyVerse associated tool, CoGe. fRNAkenseq offers novel features for the biologist such as more robust and comprehensive pipelines for enrichment than those currently available by default in a single tool, whether they are cloud-based or local installation. Importantly, cross-talk with CoGe allows fRNAkenseq users to execute RNA-Seq pipelines on an inventory of 47,000 archived genomes stored in CoGe or upload their own draft genome.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as © 2020 Hubbard et al. Distributed under Creative Commons CC-BY 4.0.
- Improved RNA-seq Workflows Using CyVerse Cyberinfrastructure.
- Authors: Chougule KM, Wang L, Stein JC, Wang X, Devisetty UK, Klein RR, Ware D
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Unipro UGENE NGS pipelines and components for variant calling, RNA-seq and ChIP-seq data analyses.
- Authors: Golosova O, Henderson R, Vaskin Y, Gabrielian A, Grekhov G, Nagarajan V, Oler AJ, Quiñones M, Hurt D, Fursov M, Huyen Y
- Issue date: 2014
- iMicrobe: Tools and data-dreaiven discovery platform for the microbiome sciences.
- Authors: Youens-Clark K, Bomhoff M, Ponsero AJ, Wood-Charlson EM, Lynch J, Choi I, Hartman JH, Hurwitz BL
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 1
- FDA's Activities Supporting Regulatory Application of "Next Gen" Sequencing Technologies.
- Authors: Wilson CA, Simonyan V
- Issue date: 2014 Nov-Dec
- miCloud: A Plug-n-Play, Extensible, On-Premises Bioinformatics Cloud for Seamless Execution of Complex Next-Generation Sequencing Data Analysis Pipelines.
- Authors: Kim B, Ali T, Dong C, Lijeron C, Mazumder R, Wultsch C, Krampis K
- Issue date: 2019 Mar