Gigapixel and 1440-perspective extended-angle display by megapixel MEMS-SLM
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherOPTICAL SOC AMER
CitationHellman, B., Lee, T., Park, J. H., & Takashima, Y. (2020). Gigapixel and 1440-perspective extended-angle display by megapixel MEMS-SLM. Optics letters, 45(18), 5016-5019.
Rights© 2020 Optical Society of America
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractOrders-of-magnitude increases are desired in the pixel count and density of spatial light modulators (SLMs) for next-gen displays. We present in-plane and simultaneous angular-spatial light modulation by a micro electro mechanical system (MEMS)-based SLM, a digital micromirror device (DMD), to generate gigapixel output by time and angular multiplexing. Pulsed illumination synchronized to the micromirror actuation achieves pixel-implemented and diffraction-based angular modulation, and source multiplexing increases angular selectivity. We demonstrate 1440-perspective image output across a 43.9∘×1.8∘ FOV, 8-bit multi-perspective videos at 30 FPS, and multi-focal-plane image generation. We discuss scalability to terapixels and implications for near-to-eye displays.
Note12 month embargo; published 04 September 2020
VersionFinal accepted manuscript
- Angular and spatial light modulation by single digital micromirror device for multi-image output and nearly-doubled étendue.
- Authors: Hellman B, Takashima Y
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 22
- Holographic display having a wide viewing zone using a MEMS SLM without pixel pitch reduction.
- Authors: Takekawa Y, Takashima Y, Takaki Y
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 2
- Single-chip holographic beam steering for lidar by a digital micromirror device with angular and spatial hybrid multiplexing.
- Authors: Hellman B, Luo C, Chen G, Rodriguez J, Perkins C, Park JH, Takashima Y
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 20
- Wide angle holographic display system with spatiotemporal multiplexing.
- Authors: Kozacki T, Finke G, Garbat P, Zaperty W, Kujawińska M
- Issue date: 2012 Dec 3
- Doubling the pixel count limitation of single-pixel imaging via sinusoidal amplitude modulation.
- Authors: Zhang Y, Suo J, Wang Y, Dai Q
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 19