AffiliationUniv Arizona, Ctr Canc, Dign Hlth
Keywordssmall cell carcinoma of the prostate
MetadataShow full item record
CitationFindakly, D., & Wang, J. (2020). Misdiagnosis of Small Cell Prostate Cancer: Lessons Learned. Cureus, 12(5).
RightsCopyright © 2020, Findakly et al. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License CC-BY 4.0., which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractSmall cell carcinoma (SCC) of the prostate is rare in the spectrum of prostate tumors. Clinically, prostate SCC is more aggressive and has a poorer prognosis when compared to prostate acinar adenocarcinoma. Delay in diagnosis and misdiagnosis further worsens the outcome of this disease. Here we present a 68-year-old man whose prostate SCC was initially misdiagnosed with benign prostate hypertrophy (BPH) by his primary care physician (PCP) and urologist and small cell lung cancer by his first oncologist and pathologist. This case underscores the diagnostic conundrum of prostate SCC and the importance of exercising caution against the possibility of uncommon prostate cancer misdiagnosis in clinical practice.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Copyright © 2020, Findakly et al. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License CC-BY 4.0., which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
- Small cell carcinoma of the prostate presenting with skin metastasis: a case report.
- Authors: Cecen K, Karadag MA, Demir A, Kocaaslan R
- Issue date: 2014 May 12
- Misdiagnosis of a small cell lung cancer resulting from inaccurate pathology.
- Authors: Song TN, Zhang JH, Li B, Zhou H, Jiang P, Yang JB, Wei XP, Zhu DJ, Guo QW
- Issue date: 2015
- Variants of acinar adenocarcinoma of the prostate mimicking benign conditions.
- Authors: Humphrey PA
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- [Combined small-cell carcinoma/adenocarcinoma of prostate: report of two cases].
- Authors: Sakuma T, Yoshida T, Ohashi H, Nishimura K, Kawano K
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- Insulinoma-associated protein 1 is a novel sensitive and specific marker for small cell carcinoma of the prostate.
- Authors: Xin Z, Zhang Y, Jiang Z, Zhao L, Fan L, Wang Y, Xie S, Shangguan X, Zhu Y, Pan J, Liu Q, Huang Y, Dong B, Xue W
- Issue date: 2018 Sep