Cell-Free DNA as an Addition to Ultrasound for Screening of a Complete Hydatidiform Mole and Coexisting Normal Fetus Pregnancy: A Case Report
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Banner Univ Med Ctr, Dept Obstet & Gynecol
Keywordscomplete hydatidiform mole and coexisting normal fetus
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherTHIEME MEDICAL PUBL INC
CitationGabra, M. G., Gonzalez, M. G., Bullock, H. N., & Hill, M. G. (2020). Cell-Free DNA as an Addition to Ultrasound for Screening of a Complete Hydatidiform Mole and Coexisting Normal Fetus Pregnancy: A Case Report. AJP reports, 10(2), e176.
RightsCopyright © 2020 by Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc. License terms: CC BY-NC-ND 4.0.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractBackground: Complete hydatidiform mole and coexisting normal fetus pregnancies (CHMCF) are rare and can be life-threatening to the mother. Definitive diagnosis can be made with chorionic villus sampling or amniocentesis. However invasive procedures carry a risk of bleeding. We present the case of a twin molar pregnancy where a cell-free DNA screening test was utilized to evaluate for CHMCF pregnancy. Case: A patient presented at 15-week gestational age with suspected CHMCF pregnancy. Ultrasound revealed a normal-appearing pregnancy abutting a multicystic lesion concerning for a complete mole. Cell-free DNA was obtained and was suggestive of complete paternal uniparental disomy. Pathological evaluation of the products of conception confirmed the diagnosis of CHMCF. Conclusion: In atypical cases, cell-free DNA may be useful in evaluation of molar pregnancy.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Copyright © 2020 by Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc. License terms: CC BY-NC-ND 4.0.
- Ultrasound and MRI Findings of Twin Pregnancies with Complete Hydatidiform Mole and Coexisting Normal Fetus: Two Case Reports.
- Authors: Imafuku H, Miyahara Y, Ebina Y, Yamada H
- Issue date: 2018 May 28
- Multiple metastatic gestational trophoblastic disease after a twin pregnancy with complete hydatidiform mole and coexisting fetus, following assisted reproductive technology: Case report and literature review.
- Authors: Nobuhara I, Harada N, Haruta N, Higashiura Y, Watanabe H, Watanabe S, Hisanaga H, Sado T
- Issue date: 2018 Aug
- Individualistic approach to the management of complete hydatidiform mole with coexisting live fetus.
- Authors: Rohilla M, Singh P, Kaur J, Jain V, Gupta N, Prasad GR
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- Prenatal Diagnosis of Twin Pregnancies with Complete Hydatidiform Mole and Coexistent Normal Fetus: A Series of 13 Cases.
- Authors: Giorgione V, Cavoretto P, Cormio G, Valsecchi L, Vimercati A, De Gennaro A, Rabaiotti E, Candiani M, Mangili G
- Issue date: 2017
- Complete Hydatidiform Mole and Coexisting Fetus With Gastroschisis: A Case Report Highlighting the Importance of Diagnostic Genotyping.
- Authors: McHenry A, Magriples U, Hui P, Morotti R
- Issue date: 2021 Jun 16