A Rare Case of Leukemia Cutis as the First Presentation of a Myelodysplastic Syndrome to Acute Myeloid Leukemia Transformation
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Internal Med Hematol & Oncol
therapy-related myelodysplastic syndrome
acute myeloid leukemia (aml)
MetadataShow full item record
CitationFindakly, D., & Amar, S. (2020). A Rare Case of Leukemia Cutis as the First Presentation of a Myelodysplastic Syndrome to Acute Myeloid Leukemia Transformation. Cureus, 12(6).
RightsCopyright © 2020, Findakly et al. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License CC-BY 4.0., which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractLeukemia cutis (LC) is a rare presentation of leukemia. It is characterized by the infiltration of leukemic cells into the different layers of the skin causing varying skin manifestations. It can occur before the hematological presentation of leukemia or during the disease course and carries a poor prognosis. Here, we report a patient with therapy-related myelodysplastic syndrome (t-MDS) whose transformation to acute leukemia was heralded by the development of LC. Worrisome cutaneous lesions should not be overlooked, and a skin biopsy should be pursued to confirm the diagnosis. A high index of suspicion is the key to early recognition of sometimes nonspecific skin findings of widespread systemic disease.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Copyright © 2020, Findakly et al. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License CC-BY 4.0., which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
- Aleukemic Myeloid Leukemia Cutis with a Kikuchi Disease-Like Inflammatory Pattern in Myelodysplastic Syndrome.
- Authors: Khieu M, Beauvais A, Matz R, Bersabe A, Brown P, Brown A, Fillman E, Hall J
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Leukemia cutis. Analysis of 50 biopsy-proven cases with an emphasis on occurrence in myelodysplastic syndromes.
- Authors: Longacre TA, Smoller BR
- Issue date: 1993 Sep
- Myeloid leukemia cutis in the setting of myelodysplastic syndrome: a crucial dermatological diagnosis.
- Authors: Patel LM, Maghari A, Schwartz RA, Kapila R, Morgan AJ, Lambert WC
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Leukemia Cutis
- Authors: Parsi M, Go MS, Ahmed A
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Cutaneous leukaemic infiltrations in a patient with previously undiagnosed myelodysplastic syndrome.
- Authors: Schneider LA, Weber L, Viardot A, Schubert R, Hinrichs R, Scharffetter-Kochanek K
- Issue date: 2004 Sep