Initial Orbit Determination and Event Reconstruction From Estimation of Particle Trajectories About (101955) Bennu
AuthorLeonard, J M
Adam, C D
Pelgrift, J Y
Lessac-Chenen, E J
Nelson, D S
Antreasian, P G
Liounis, A J
Moreau, M C
Hergenrother, C W
Chesley, S R
Nolan, M C
Lauretta, D S
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Lunar & Planetary Lab
particle ejection events
Bennu ejection activity
particle trajectory reconstruction
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherAMER GEOPHYSICAL UNION
CitationLeonard, J. M., Adam, C. D., Pelgrift, J. Y., Lessac‐Chenen, E. J., Nelson, D. S., Antreasian, P. G., ... & Lauretta, D. S. (2020). Initial orbit determination and event reconstruction from estimation of particle trajectories about (101955) Bennu. Earth and Space Science, 7(9), e2019EA000937.
JournalEARTH AND SPACE SCIENCE
Rights© 2020 The Authors. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractThe OSIRIS-REx mission has observed multiple instances of particles being ejected from the surface of near-Earth asteroid (101955) Bennu. The ability to quickly identify the particle trajectories and origins is necessary following a particle ejection event. Using proven initial orbit determination techniques, we can rapidly estimate particle trajectories and ejection locations. We present current results pertaining to the identification of particle tracks, an evaluation of the estimated orbits and the excess velocity necessary to induce the particle ejection from the surface, and the uncertainty quantification of the ejection location. We estimate energies per particle ranging from 0.03 to 11.03 mJ for the largest analyzed events and velocities ranging from 5 to 90 cm/s, though we exclude the highest-velocity particles in this technique. We estimate ejection times for eight events and constrain six of the analyzed ejection events to have occurred between about 16:30 and 19:00 local solar time, with the largest events occurring between 16:30 and 18:05.
NoteOpen access article
VersionFinal published version
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as © 2020 The Authors. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
- Reconstruction of Bennu Particle Events From Sparse Data.
- Authors: Pelgrift JY, Lessac-Chenen EJ, Adam CD, Leonard JM, Nelson DS, McCarthy L, Sahr EM, Liounis A, Moreau M, Bos BJ, Hergenrother CW, Lauretta DS
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Episodes of particle ejection from the surface of the active asteroid (101955) Bennu.
- Authors: Lauretta DS, Hergenrother CW, Chesley SR, Leonard JM, Pelgrift JY, Adam CD, Al Asad M, Antreasian PG, Ballouz RL, Becker KJ, Bennett CA, Bos BJ, Bottke WF, Brozović M, Campins H, Connolly HC Jr, Daly MG, Davis AB, de León J, DellaGiustina DN, Drouet d'Aubigny CY, Dworkin JP, Emery JP, Farnocchia D, Glavin DP, Golish DR, Hartzell CM, Jacobson RA, Jawin ER, Jenniskens P, Kidd JN Jr, Lessac-Chenen EJ, Li JY, Libourel G, Licandro J, Liounis AJ, Maleszewski CK, Manzoni C, May B, McCarthy LK, McMahon JW, Michel P, Molaro JL, Moreau MC, Nelson DS, Owen WM Jr, Rizk B, Roper HL, Rozitis B, Sahr EM, Scheeres DJ, Seabrook JA, Selznick SH, Takahashi Y, Thuillet F, Tricarico P, Vokrouhlický D, Wolner CWV
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 6
- Meteoroid Impacts as a Source of Bennu's Particle Ejection Events.
- Authors: Bottke WF, Moorhead AV, Connolly HC Jr, Hergenrother CW, Molaro JL, Michel P, Nolan MC, Schwartz SR, Vokrouhlický D, Walsh KJ, Lauretta DS
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Motion of dust ejected from the surface of asteroid (101955) Bennu.
- Authors: Jiang Y, Schmidt J
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Particle Ejection Contributions to the Rotational Acceleration and Orbit Evolution of Asteroid (101955) Bennu.
- Authors: Scheeres DJ, McMahon JW, Brack DN, French AS, Chesley SR, Farnocchia D, Vokrouhlický D, Ballouz RL, Emery JP, Rozitis B, Nolan MC, Hergenrother CW, Lauretta DS
- Issue date: 2020 Mar