Rat BodyMap transcriptomes reveal unique circular RNA features across tissue types and developmental stages
Zhou, Jin J
Knox, Kenneth S
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Epidemiol & Biostat
Univ Arizona, Coll Med Phoenix, Dept Internal Med
MetadataShow full item record
CitationZhou, T., Xie, X., Li, M., Shi, J., Zhou, J. J., Knox, K. S., ... & Gu, W. (2018). Rat BodyMap transcriptomes reveal unique circular RNA features across tissue types and developmental stages. Rna, 24(11), 1443-1456.
Rights© 2018 Zhou et al. This article, published in RNA, is available under a Creative Commons License (Attribution 4.0 International), as described at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractCircular RNAs (circRNAs) are a novel class of regulatory RNAs. Here, we present a comprehensive investigation of circRNA expression profiles across 11 tissues and four developmental stages in rats, along with cross-species analyses in humans and mice. Although the expression of circRNAs is positively correlated with that of cognate mRNAs, highly expressed genes tend to splice a larger fraction of circular transcripts. Moreover, circRNAs exhibit higher tissue specificity than cognate mRNAs. Intriguingly, while we observed a monotonic increase of circRNA abundance with age in the rat brain, we further discovered a dynamic, age-dependent pattern of circRNA expression in the testes that is characterized by a dramatic increase with advancing stages of sexual maturity and a decrease with aging. The age-sensitive testicular circRNAs are highly associated with spermatogenesis, independent of cognate mRNA expression. The tissue/age implications of circRNAs suggest that they present unique physiological functions rather than simply occurring as occasional by-products of gene transcription.
NoteOpen access article
VersionFinal published version
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as © 2018 Zhou et al. This article, published in RNA, is available under a Creative Commons License (Attribution 4.0 International), as described at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/.
- Analysis of pig transcriptomes suggests a global regulation mechanism enabling temporary bursts of circular RNAs.
- Authors: Robic A, Faraut T, Djebali S, Weikard R, Feve K, Maman S, Kuehn C
- Issue date: 2019 Sep
- Comprehensive CircRNA expression profile and selection of key CircRNAs during priming phase of rat liver regeneration.
- Authors: Li L, Guo J, Chen Y, Chang C, Xu C
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 13
- Circular RNA expression profiles and features in human tissues: a study using RNA-seq data.
- Authors: Xu T, Wu J, Han P, Zhao Z, Song X
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 3
- A map of human circular RNAs in clinically relevant tissues.
- Authors: Maass PG, Glažar P, Memczak S, Dittmar G, Hollfinger I, Schreyer L, Sauer AV, Toka O, Aiuti A, Luft FC, Rajewsky N
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Genome-wide profiling of Sus scrofa circular RNAs across nine organs and three developmental stages.
- Authors: Liang G, Yang Y, Niu G, Tang Z, Li K
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 1