Realization of all-optical vortex switching in exciton-polariton condensates
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherNATURE PUBLISHING GROUP
CitationMa, X., Berger, B., Aßmann, M. et al. Realization of all-optical vortex switching in exciton-polariton condensates. Nat Commun 11, 897 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-020-14702-5
Rights© The Author(s) 2020. Open Access. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. To view a copy of this license, visithttp://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractVortices are topological objects representing the circular motion of a fluid. With their additional degree of freedom, the vorticity, they have been widely investigated in many physical systems and different materials for fundamental interest and for applications in data storage and information processing. Vortices have also been observed in non-equilibrium exciton-polariton condensates in planar semiconductor microcavities. There they appear spontaneously or can be created and pinned in space using ring-shaped optical excitation profiles. However, using the vortex state for information processing not only requires creation of a vortex but also efficient control over the vortex after its creation. Here we demonstrate a simple approach to control and switch a localized polariton vortex between opposite states. In our scheme, both the optical control of vorticity and its detection through the orbital angular momentum of the emitted light are implemented in a robust and practical manner.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as © The Author(s) 2020. Open Access. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. To view a copy of this license, visithttp://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/.
- Vortex Multistability and Bessel Vortices in Polariton Condensates.
- Authors: Ma X, Schumacher S
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 30
- Creation and Manipulation of Stable Dark Solitons and Vortices in Microcavity Polariton Condensates.
- Authors: Ma X, Egorov OA, Schumacher S
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 14
- Generation of optical vortices by exciton polaritons in pillar semiconductor microcavities.
- Authors: Abdalla AS, Zou B, Ren Y, Liu T, Zhang Y
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 20
- Direct Transfer of Light's Orbital Angular Momentum onto a Nonresonantly Excited Polariton Superfluid.
- Authors: Kwon MS, Oh BY, Gong SH, Kim JH, Kang HK, Kang S, Song JD, Choi H, Cho YH
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 1
- Spontaneously coherent orbital coupling of counterrotating exciton polaritons in annular perovskite microcavities.
- Authors: Wang J, Xu H, Su R, Peng Y, Wu J, Liew TCH, Xiong Q
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 1