Optical proxy for particulate organic nitrogen from BGC-Argo floats
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Mol & Cellular Biol
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherOPTICAL SOC AMER
CitationAlain Fumenia, Anne Petrenko, Hubert Loisel, Kahina Djaoudi, Alain deVerneil, and Thierry Moutin, "Optical proxy for particulate organic nitrogen from BGC-Argo floats," Opt. Express 28, 21391-21406 (2020)
Rights© 2020 Optical Society of America under the terms of the OSA Open Access Publishing Agreement.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractUsing biogeochemical-Argo float measurements, we propose, for the first time, an optical proxy for particulate organic nitrogen concentration (PON) in the Western Tropical South Pacific, an area influenced by dinitrogen (N-2) fixation. Our results show a significant relationship between the backscattering coefficient at 700 nm (b(b)(p)) and PON, especially when the latter is measured using the wet oxidation method (R-2 =0.87). b(bp) may be used to estimate PON concentrations (PONopt) between 0.02 and 0.95 mu M, allowing for unprecedented monitoring using autonomous profiling floats. The b(bp) vs PON relationship can be used to study phytoplanktonic biomass dynamics at relevant seasonal temporal scales, with clear evidence of PONopt as a proxy of phytoplanktonic biomass, at least for this specific area. Temporal analyses of PONopt show significant increases (from 0.16 to 0.80 mu M) likely related to new production associated to N-2 fixation events measured during stratification periods in the Melanesian Archipelago. (C) 2020 Optical Society of America under the terms of the OSA Open Access Publishing Agreement
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
- Detection of Coccolithophore Blooms With BioGeoChemical-Argo Floats.
- Authors: Terrats L, Claustre H, Cornec M, Mangin A, Neukermans G
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 16
- In situ evaluation of spaceborne CALIOP lidar measurements of the upper-ocean particle backscattering coefficient.
- Authors: Lacour L, Larouche R, Babin M
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 31
- Quantifying the Impact of Linear Regression Model in Deriving Bio-Optical Relationships: The Implications on Ocean Carbon Estimations.
- Authors: Bellacicco M, Vellucci V, Scardi M, Barbieux M, Marullo S, D'Ortenzio F
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 9
- Particulate Backscattering in the Global Ocean: A Comparison of Independent Assessments.
- Authors: Bisson KM, Boss E, Werdell PJ, Ibrahim A, Behrenfeld MJ
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 28
- Detecting Mesopelagic Organisms Using Biogeochemical-Argo Floats.
- Authors: Haëntjens N, Della Penna A, Briggs N, Karp-Boss L, Gaube P, Claustre H, Boss E
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 28