AffiliationUniv Arizona, James C Wyant Coll Opt Sci
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherOPTICAL SOC AMER
CitationWisniewski, H., Richardson, L., Hines, A., Laurain, A., & Guzmán, F. (2020). Optomechanical lasers for inertial sensing. JOSAA, 37(9), B87-B92.
Rights© 2020 Optical Society of America
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractWe have developed an inertially sensitive optomechanical laser by combining a vertical-external-cavity surface-emitting laser (VECSEL) with a monolithic fused silica resonator. By placing the external cavity mirror of the VECSEL onto the optomechanical resonator test mass, we create a sensor where external accelerations are directly transcribed onto the lasing frequency. We developed a proof-of-principle laboratory prototype and observe test mass oscillations at the resonance frequency of the sensor through the VECSEL lasing frequency, 4.18 +/- 0.03 Hz. In addition, we set up an ancillary heterodyne interferometer to track the motion of the mechanical oscillator's test mass, observing a resonance of 4.194 +/- 0.004 Hz. The interferometer measurements validate the VECSEL results, confirming the feasibility of using optomechanical lasers for inertial sensing. (C) 2020 Optical Society of America
Note12 month embargo; first published online 12 August 2020
VersionFinal accepted manuscript
- Narrow-linewidth operation of folded 1178nm VECSEL with twisted-mode cavity.
- Authors: Kaneda Y, Hart M, Warner SH, Penttinen JP, Guina M
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 16
- Coherent beam combining and noise analysis of a colliding pulse modelocked VECSEL.
- Authors: Link SM, Waldburger D, Alfieri CGE, Golling M, Keller U
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 7
- Determination of the vacuum optomechanical coupling rate using frequency noise calibration.
- Authors: Gorodetsky ML, Schliesser A, Anetsberger G, Deleglise S, Kippenberg TJ
- Issue date: 2010 Oct 25
- Accurate measurement of the residual birefringence in VECSEL: Towards understanding of the polarization behavior under spin-polarized pumping.
- Authors: Frougier J, Baili G, Sagnes I, Dolfi D, George JM, Alouini M
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 20
- Laser optomechanics.
- Authors: Yang W, Gerke SA, Ng KW, Rao Y, Chase C, Chang-Hasnain CJ
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 3