Pembrolizumab-Induced Immune-Mediated Hepatitis and Concurrent Hepatitis B Reactivation in a Patient With Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Internal Med Gastroenterol
MetadataShow full item record
CitationShanker Kundumadam, B. M., Muthusamy, A., Kathi, P. R., & Ehrinpreis, M. N. (2020). Pembrolizumab-Induced Immune-Mediated Hepatitis and Concurrent Hepatitis B Reactivation in a Patient With Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Cureus, 12(11).
RightsCopyright © 2020, Kundumadam et al. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License CC-BY 4.0.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractNew immuno-therapeutic agents like pembrolizumab used in cancer treatment are known to cause immune mediated hepatitis. Most of these cases are straightforward when the onset of transaminitis correlates with the introduction of the medication. This agent causing hepatitis B reactivation has been reported only once. lb have both these adverse effects occurring at the same time in a patient is uncommon and presents a clinical challenge. Our patient was a 49-year-old gentleman diagnosed with metastatic adenocarcinoma of the lung seven months ago. He was started on pembrolizumab, as the malignant tissue obtained during biopsy had high program death-lig-and 1 (PDL1) expression. On reviewing the labs ordered during the time of cancer diagnosis, this man has evidence of chronic hepatitis B with positive hepatitis 13 surface antigen and positive hepatitis B core immunoglobulin G (IgG) antibody. He presented with acute hepatitis, and workup showed features of hepatitis B reactivation, but the extent of reactivation was not adequate to explain the presentation, hence investigations were pursued. This led the way to the diagnosis of a combined hepatitis B reactivation and drug-induced immune hepatitis in this case. He responded promptly to the withdrawal of the agent and steroids. On follow-up, his liver function panel had significantly improved. This case is very unique in two aspects. First, to our knowledge, there is only one case reported of pembrolizumab-induced hepatitis 13 reactivation. In addition, our patient also had immune-mediated hepatitis induced by pembrolizumab. It is very rare to have a combination of these two presentations to be seen in a patient at the same time. Pembrolizumab-induced immune hepatitis can coexist with hepatitis B reactivation following therapy with this agent.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Copyright © 2020, Kundumadam et al. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License CC-BY 4.0.
- Compromise or not? A case report of successful treatment of pembrolizumab-induced hepatitis in a patient with non-small cell lung cancer with low-dose methylprednisolone and bicyclol.
- Authors: Liu Y, Zhang J, Yin Z, Zhu X, Xue L, Cao B
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- A Rare Case of Pembrolizumab-Induced Reactivation of Hepatitis B.
- Authors: Pandey A, Ezemenari S, Liaukovich M, Richard I, Boris A
- Issue date: 2018
- Pembrolizumab-Induced Immune-Mediated Colitis in a Patient with Concurrent Clostridium Difficile Infection.
- Authors: Zhou C, Klionsky Y, Treasure ME, Bruno DS
- Issue date: 2019 Jan-Apr
- Intralymphatic histiocytosis in a patient with lung adenocarcinoma treated with pembrolizumab: a case report.
- Authors: Sugano T, Seike M, Funasaka Y, Yoshida M, Takayama R, Okamura K, Nakanishi A, Tanaka T, Takeuchi S, Noro R, Minegishi Y, Kubota K, Saeki H, Gemma A
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 27
- Pembrolizumab combined with stereotactic body radiotherapy in a patient with human immunodeficiency virus and advanced non-small cell lung cancer: a case report.
- Authors: Li D, He C, Xia Y, Du Y, Zhang J
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 23