Myosin modulators: Emerging approaches for the treatment of cardiomyopathies and heart failure
AffiliationDepartment of Biomedical Engineering, University of Arizona
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDay, S. M., Tardiff, J. C., & Michael Ostap, E. (2022). Myosin modulators: Emerging approaches for the treatment of cardiomyopathies and heart failure. Journal of Clinical Investigation.
RightsCopyright © 2022, Day et al. This is an open access article published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractMyosin modulators are a novel class of pharmaceutical agents that are being developed to treat patients with a range of cardiomyopathies. The therapeutic goal of these drugs is to target cardiac myosins directly to modulate contractility and cardiac power output to alleviate symptoms that lead to heart failure and arrhythmias, without altering calcium signaling. In this Review, we discuss two classes of drugs that have been developed to either activate (omecamtiv mecarbil) or inhibit (mavacamten) cardiac contractility by binding to β-cardiac myosin (MYH7). We discuss progress in understanding the mechanisms by which the drugs alter myosin mechanochemistry, and we provide an appraisal of the results from clinical trials of these drugs, with consideration for the importance of disease heterogeneity and genetic etiology for predicting treatment benefit. © 2022 American Society for Clinical Investigation. All rights reserved.
NoteOpen access article
VersionFinal published version
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Copyright © 2022, Day et al. This is an open access article published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Omecamtiv mecarbil: a new cardiac myosin activator for the treatment of heart failure.
- Authors: Liu LC, Dorhout B, van der Meer P, Teerlink JR, Voors AA
- Issue date: 2016
- Omecamtiv Mecarbil: A Myosin Motor Activator Agent with Promising Clinical Performance and New in vitro Results.
- Authors: Nanasi P, Komaromi I, Gaburjakova M, Almassy J
- Issue date: 2018
- Direct Myosin Activation by Omecamtiv Mecarbil for Heart Failure with Reduced Ejection Fraction.
- Authors: Psotka MA, Teerlink JR
- Issue date: 2017
- Omecamtiv mercabil and blebbistatin modulate cardiac contractility by perturbing the regulatory state of the myosin filament.
- Authors: Kampourakis T, Zhang X, Sun YB, Irving M
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 1
- Perspectives of a myosin motor activator agent with increased selectivity.
- Authors: Nánási P Jr, Komáromi I, Almássy J
- Issue date: 2018 Jul